92 factory radio died | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 factory radio died

B.WARE

Reaction score
City, State
SHAWNEE MISSION, KS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi.....Before I start ripping into the dash of my 92 Explorer, does anyone have any ideas why the radio would suddenly die (not even clock display)? I wasn't driving when it died, so I don't know if it smoked. I can't find any bad fuses and the chilton manual wiring diagram doesn't even show the radio. Anything like a bad ground or fuse in the radio itself? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.......B.Ware

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't suprise me if the head unit just died, my parents went thru 3 stock head units in 13 years they drove it. I say just get a new aftermarket headunit, you'll be much happier. They're pretty easy to install yourself, walmart sells a head unit removal tool that will make the job a lot easier as well. Good luck.

I gotta factory AM/FM Cassette I pulled from my 91 if ya want it. Email me!

Seems to be luck with these headunits, mine lasted 12 years before I upgraded and sold it, but it was still working, but I know some people that had theres die when it was only a few years old and some that are going on 15 years.

Treat yourself to a new stereo..........heck, pick yourself up some speakers while you are at it. Sound quality has improved SO MUCH in the past 13 years, that even attempting to fix an old stereo really isn't worth the time IMO. ;)

Back