'92 Ford Explorer. Fan clutch replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'92 Ford Explorer. Fan clutch replacement.

Candy.Kane86

Reaction score
I need help trying to replace my fan clutch for my 1992 Ford Explorer. I have to removal tool but not too sure where to go from there

Start by removing the air intake and radiator. Should be pretty self explanatory from there.

No need to remove the radiator if you’re careful.
Just did that job as part of another one so let me try to list them. Also a manual like Chilton’s or such is a good thing to also have but here it gos.

1) Disconnect Battery neg cable for safety sake
2) Remove air intake tube.
3) Remove fan and fan clutch (to remove from truck you will also have to remove the two bolts that hold the fan shroud on. Once they are removed then left the fan, clutch and shroud together the fan and clutch will still be bolted together by the way)
4) Unbolt fan from fan clutch
5) Check fan for creaks and chips around its center hub and blades
6) Install is just the reversal
7) Being the battery was disconnected it’s also a good time to clean the MAF sensor just a thought.

There is no need to remove or loosen the fan belt when doing this job same with removing the radiator but if you want you can remove the radiator to give your self extra room but it is not needed just be careful and you will make less work for your self.
good luck its an easy job just remember the fan is normally a left hand threaded item just check your fan shroud as it will tell you on it what you have. If you get stuck just come back and ask

Back