• Register Today It's free!

92 Lift kits?

Tim S

Reaction score
City, State
Hauppauge, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
What kits are made for my 92 Explorer 4dr 4wd? I've searched this site and the web and have only come up with this: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/248504.html What I'm looking for is about 4" of lift. Now to make things simple for me, I want to buy pretty much the most complete system I can get. I dont want to have to search for more parts after buying a kit. The one I linked above is that a complete kit or are there things missing? And if anyone has suggestions as to another well priced kit that would be great! Thank you for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure how high you want to go, but I have a 2wd and wanting to get higher, seems alot of peeps, with 1st gen X, run the f150 coil spacers, and AAL and shakles, for 1.5 to 2 inch lift and also a 3 inch body lift, for a total of 5 inches. Comes out a lot cheaper then the kit you posted. 3 inch kit about 100.00, spacers about 40.00 from local ford dealer, AAL about 27.00, and the war-193 shakles about 60.00..

superlift and skyjacker make kits for the 1st gen

The cheapest and easiest way to get 4" of lift is to do coil spacers/springs, AAL and/or shackles, and a 2" body lift. That complete setup will run you about $200, and you can fit 32's.

With the AAL and body lift stuff how will the road manner be? Will it become a bit too top heavy? What would be better the actual springs or the spacers for up front? Also what AAL and bodylifts do you guys suggest? Say I do this setup AAL, coil spacers and the body lift, what else will I have to do? Brake line, steering, throttle cable will anything else like these have to be tweeked to get this setup to run correct and safe for the rest of the truck?

I found : http://rough.roughcountry.com/RC Web/83-97 Ranger.htm 1.5" lift springs. Would they be better then the spacers? Also I cant find AAL for explorers so I assume you need to use f150 AAL what specs am I looking for? The width I assume and any particular year? Also is it possible to run the Daystar coil spacers with the above coil lift springs to get 3.5", 2 AAL in the back for 3.5-4" or will the 1 AAL and then Shackles give about 3.5"-4.0" in the back then the 2" body lift? As you can tell I'm new at this. Thank you guys!

summit racing has the AAL for 1st gen X, the f150 coil spacers P/N's are:
F2TZ-5A307-A
F2TZ-5A307-B
one for left and one for the right side.
those lift coils should work, It all depends on how much you wanting to spend.
coil spacers, AAL and/or shackles plus the 2/3 inch body lift is the cheap way and works good. Or at least that is what I have read. and this is the way I am going to do it.
Also I beleive that a 2 inch SL is all you can go with out having to lengthen hoses and other stuff, also after any SL you need to get an alignment and have them install a camber kit,

Zy

Tim S said:
With the AAL and body lift stuff how will the road manner be? Will it become a bit too top heavy? What would be better the actual springs or the spacers for up front? Also what AAL and bodylifts do you guys suggest? Say I do this setup AAL, coil spacers and the body lift, what else will I have to do? Brake line, steering, throttle cable will anything else like these have to be tweeked to get this setup to run correct and safe for the rest of the truck?

Here is the setup I would recommend: Skyjacker 2" coil springs(reason: they will flex better than coil spacers), Warrior shackles (reason: they give the same amount of lift as AAL's but don't settle or change the ride quality; AAL's will make the ride stiffer), and a Performance Accessories 2" body lift. Since you are only raising the suspension 2" (along with the entire drivetrain and frame), then it won't be nearly as top heavy as doing all suspension. The body lift, as implied, only raises the body 2", so the difference in handling is minimal. The only things that will need to be tweaked will be included with the body lift, like steering extension, and e-brake relocator. The good thing about doing only a 2" suspension is there is no need for drop down brackets, as the camber can be corrected with shims. Also, the stock brake lines will work fine with only a 2" suspension. Hope I got all your questions answered.

j602: You couldnt have put it any better! Thank you for all the suggestions guys!

No problem man. Glad I could help.

Sorry, one last question. Where can I get those shackles? Also I forgot to add that my rear springs are sagging a very, very little but they are none the less. So when I add the shackles it may not be even with the front so at that point would I change the springs out or could I use a AAL just to even it out a bit. Thanks again I appreciate the help!

You can get the shackles from 4wheelparts.com or Desertrat.com. Just call and ask for part WAR-153. If you currently have sagging springs (commonly called butt sag), you can use both the shackles and AAL's to bring the rear even with the front. I would suggest only using on or the other first though and see how it turns out.

Back