• Register Today It's free!

92 manual transmission

Offroadexplo

Reaction score
City, State
dearborn heights michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 sport
well i have a 92 explorer sport with a manual trans and lets just say i put that trans threw some sh*t when i first bought the truck i bought it knowing it needed a new clutch so after a week of having it the clutch went i went to a local transmission shop and thought i got a new one put in cause i got charged for a new one well come to find out they put a used one in it :fire: so 13 months later i bought another new one and installed it myself but when i replaced it i noticed i bent my shifter rod and my throwout bearing was shot so i sent out my shifter rod and got it rebent and the guy who did it told me he could tell i drive like its a race truck told me i should start driving it normal well i just said yea ok went on my way :rolleyes: well i didnt listen and still beat the hell out of it and so then i went to go do a burnout and my carrier gear shot out of my rear diff cover so my truck was parked for about 4 months waiting on a new rearend well i got it in now and last sunday night i was racing one of my buddies and slammed it into second and it grinded real bad it has done this before and at first the only gears it would go into is 2nd and 4th well now i can go into every gear but its so sloppy i know my throw out bearing went again so my point after that long boring story is what are some suggestions one either beefing up my manual trans or switching to automatic trans please tell me what you guys think

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do I think?

I think your an idiot.

If you wanna race somebody, go to a racetrack......with a car that was designed to be there.

Your foolishness is costing you more and more each day.

Ryan

well i dont even know why you relplyed....the reason i want to know people really think i should do is because i have a 3" body lift and 6" suspension lift on the way and plan on doing a lot of serious offroading and i want my trans to be reliable and strong....but what im just gonna ignore what you said...anybody have any real coments to help me out thanks

I'm with spdrcer. Replace whats broken and stop driving like an ass. First keep all that to the track where it belongs. Second an explorer isnt a race car. It isnt made to be beat on and will not react well. If you plan to lift your truck 9 inches total you are going to kill yourself or worse yet someone else driving so foolishly. Dont do any mods till you calm down. If you fix the tranny right and drive right it wil llast a long time

I agree with everyone else, but if you want ideas, swap in a driveline from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

There's lots of us who do "serious offroading" without blowing carriers and destroying trannys. The 8.8 is a strong axle, but not strong enough for you. The M5OD is stronger than the A4LD, so don't think of swapping in that auto.

Bottom line is: ease up on the skinny pedal, unless you have lots of money to spend.

well thanks rangerx i really appreciate your comments....im 19 years old and i know its not a drag car i know its dumb to beat on it and i learned cause like you all say its money all in the end but now the only beating ill be doing to it is offroad whats a good clutch thats strong and whats some other stuff or should i just get another stronger manual trans?????

Spdrcer34 said:
What do I think?

I think your an idiot.

If you wanna race somebody, go to a racetrack......with a car that was designed to be there.

Your foolishness is costing you more and more each day.

Ryan
Exactly :thumbsup:

I am not sure what/if manual tranny could go in place of yours, but for a clutch I've heard that the LUK gold(?) and centerforce dual friction are the top of the line clutches for ours.

I just put a new clutch in mine. Stay away from parts store clutches. I used a LUK gold. Make sure you get a good slave/throwout, the one that came with the LUK was identical to my factory piece.

Another route to take would be to swap in a C4 auto, or even a 700R4. Search around on this site to find some good info.

thanks Bill after my suspension lift and body lift get here im gonna order everything i need for a 700r4 trans i seen jeffe's post and sounds like a great idea

Yeah LUK gold is exactly what i got. i put in a OEM style clutch from autozone once and used that... it didnt last very long. I've had the LUK in there for over 50k miles and havent had a hint of slipping

Cant ever say i tore out the 8.8 though, and i probably drive it as bad as you do, but in the mud.

Possible mods:

short throw shift, and stage 1 shift kit.

well im gonna go with the 700r4

i know its not a drag car i know its dumb to beat on it and i learned cause like you all say its money all in the end

Who cares about your money. Thats not why most of us posted. What the problem with you doing this comes down to is safety. At 19 years old you arent nearly the driver you think you are. Even if you were you can do everything right and still cause an accident. You are also giving the explorer comunity a bad name. As well as once you put your lift in people will see it as an offroader. They dont identify an individual rather just a group. You are hurting ALL OF US

dude i dont drive the way i use to i get what all are saying im not blowing it off i get the point thanks for your comment thoe

Back