• Register Today It's free!

93/94 explorer I need some help

Brit Mechanic

Reaction score
City, State
England
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ??
Hi there this is my first post on this forum and i am so happy i found this forum. I am an engineer but i have never worked on american cars and the biggest engine i have worked on is a rover 3.5 v8.
I have just bought a 94 explorer and I need to replace the head gasket i have sourced the parts at alot of money about 150 quid which is about $200 for head gaskets and strech bolts. You may have noticed that i come from little old england. Can anyone tell me what is involved in changing the head gasket and do i need to get the head skimmed. I havnt actualy picked it up yet but need to order parts becaus eit takes ages for parts to come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention the reason i bought the explorer is because at christmas i am going to be driving from england to ukraine to visit my wifes parents and ski. Any thoughts on driving the 1500 mile trip in an explorer and what spares do i need to take. Or should i do it in my 1980 landrover (an english thing)
By the way it about 700 miles or the trip will be on snowy roads do i need chains?

I would advise that you get a Haynes manual from amazon.co.uk. Also check that the 4x4 system is working and the auto box is ok. They are not very good on the 94's. You did not mention why you need to replace the head gaskets, but assuming there is a problem then cracked heads are not unusual so be prepared. Skimming is also a good idea if there is a current leak. The basic engine design is a classic V6 push rod one so should not surprise you.

i just hope its push rod that will make my day. apparently there is a leak from auto box should i be worried?

the auto transmission is a A4LD, (automatic, 4 speed, Light Dity) if it is leaking from the bellhousing, then you might have the classic front pump seal failure.
Yes you should be worried.
Try a search for this.
The head may also be cracked, the right thing to do would be to remove and have both sides checked and or/rebuilt.

If the OHV 4.0L was overheated it could have alot to do with both of these issues.
Check the condition of the waterpump (any leaks) and also the nylon fan and clutch.

Brit Mechanic said:
I forgot to mention the reason i bought the explorer is because at christmas i am going to be driving from england to ukraine to visit my wifes parents and ski. Any thoughts on driving the 1500 mile trip in an explorer and what spares do i need to take. Or should i do it in my 1980 landrover (an english thing)
By the way it about 700 miles or the trip will be on snowy roads do i need chains?

Depends how well they clear their roads, and whether or not you go thru the mountains, like in Slovakia. They probably do not clear the roads that well over in eastern Europe, where most of the snow will be. If I were you I would bring chains, but not run with them unless it got really bad. These trucks do pretty well in snow with a good set of tires (tyres for you), but as with any vehicle, ice, particularly black ice, is what can do you in...you probably won't need chains unless you hit a bad storm.

I have driven my 92 thru fresh snow up to the bumper in 4WD (nervously I might admit - but I had chains on board in case).

Clean the transmission really good and let it idle for about 15 minutes, locate where your leak is coming from. THAT will be an important clue.

Back