LED dome light conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED dome light conversion

i work out of my truck a lot and worrying about dead batteries or melted dome lights are a thing of the past. supplies needed:

hot glue
soldiering iron and soldier
flat head screwdriver

i used truck bed leds from autozone $25
utf-8BSU1BRzA0NDcuanBn-1.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NDUuanBn-2.jpg

first i removed the lense and reflector with a flathead screwdriver. the led pods are 12v each so simply cutting the wires is all thats required to seperate them.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NDMuanBn-2.jpg

the pods don't quite fit in the middle section of the reflector so used the soldiering iron to remove enough of the reflector to let them fit. then hot glue them in place. mine is a little sloppy since i used a mini torch instead of a glue gun;) hint:set the reflector in the lense to hold the leds in place while you glue them. this ensures everything will fit when reinstalled

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NDguanBn-1.jpg

for the map lights run the wires through the hole and glue the pods directly to the reflector. be sure they sit far enough in so the lens sits flush

on the roof there are copper pathways (sorry no pic). i simply touched the led wires to find which paths were for what and simply soldiered the wires directly to the copper pathways. i connected the center two pods to the factory dome light wires and the side pods to their respective switches

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NjcuanBn-1.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NjMuanBn-2.jpg

IMAG0450.jpg

they looked so good i had to do the rear (quickly slapped it together)
utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTcuanBn-2.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTMuanBn-2.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTguanBn-2.jpg

not sure how that rear light was supposed to come out but a good pull and she popped out. i removed the metal frame from the stock light and glued two pods in it. i could've pulled the headliner down to bend the tabs to hold it in better but hot glue was easier

as for the lights in the doors i had some 7 color leds that fit perfect. no pics of the install but since they get power at the same time and run the same color sequence they change color at the same time
IMAG0479.jpg

and some night shots. no tripod makes crappy pics but you get the idea
P9010282.jpg

P9010277.jpg

P9010281.jpg

I was lookin at something similar to that and you'd have to cut alot off of the reflector to make it fit. For $25 at autozone i couldn't pass up the ones i got. Prewired, waterproof, small, and brite. (plus i had a $10 gift card.) Granted they weren't quite "plug and play" but minimal cutting was required

Back