• Register Today It's free!

93 exploder wont start!! confused

bean

Reaction score
City, State
Abbotsford, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt 4x4 4.0L
i have a 93 X replaced upper and lower intake gaskets last week, and now it wont start... it is getting fuel... have spark, tested all plugs and they are firing fine.... if i put the pedal to the floor it tries to sputter then it floods out cause the plugs are wet, but if i pull the plugs and test them the fire off just fine... tried to get a code reading and this is what i get... flash pause flash pause 6 flashes in a row pause flash pause flash 4 flashes in a row, then it repeates itself... no cm codes only koeo hard codes... wtf is going on... any help would be appreciated... thanks:scratch: :feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...try to read your codes again...if i read your last code correct as a 14,= profile ignition pick up circuit fault...:scratch:

if that is right and it is code 14, why would i get code 16: (r) rpm too low to perform O2/fuel test... this code is a running engine code? how would i test that circuit?

...before the codes show, you will get a 1 pause 1, then the codes...i think your first code is off...:scratch:

Are you positive you got everything plugged back in? When I replaced the upper gasket on my 91 a couple of years ago, I had the same problem. I didn't get the coil pack plug all the way in. I hope this helps adn good luck, Bailey.

i have unplugged and replugged and gone over every connection and hose 25 times and i dont know... i think that it is giving me wrong codes, or i am not reading it right... anyways thanks a bunch... i will check back tomorrow... Bean

Make sure all the vacuum lines are hooked up on the tree on the drivers side near the firewall.

flash pause flash pause 6 flashes in a row pause flash pause flash 4 flashes in a row
KOEO 116: ECT sensor out of range. KOEO 114: IAT sensor out of range. During the KOEO test, the computer expects to see the temperature sensors reading above a certain threshold. Where you can't start the engine, these sensors are likely just too cold for the computer's liking. If you feel a need to check these sensors before getting it to start, they are simple thermistors that are easily tested with an ohmmeter. However, I don't see any reason at this point to suspect the sensors are bad.

When you say no CM codes, does that mean 111, or did you never see any CM codes output? If the latter, check your test procedure. They should be there, even if it just spits out a 111 pass code.

Beyond that, an engine needs four things to start: air (usually not a problem), compression, fuel (in the right amount), and spark (at the right time).

Did you get the spark plug wires back on in the correct order? If you got any of them crossed, you'll have 2 or more cylinders firing at the wrong time, even though they are firing. Enough of them off and the engine won't start. This is a common mistake when reassembling an engine. Double check the spark plug wires. I know the firing order has been posted here with the correct wire arrangement.

Will the fuel system hold pressure? Gas in the vacuum line to the FPR? I've heard of a few cases where the diaphragm rupture in the FPR dumps so much fuel into the intake that it prevents the engine from starting.

See where that takes you.

fpr is good, no fuel in vacuum line, cm flashed 111 no error codes there, firing order is in correct sequence... pulled #1 plug and cranked it over it would come to tdc compression stroke then the plug would fire right on time, but i an getting a large amount of fuel being dumped into the cylinders... the plugs are coming out very wet... over fueling issue maybe... i tested injectors power to both sides except for when it was firing because it uses a ground fault to fire the injectors, +12v in closed, -12v out open... has anyone ever herd of these things flooding themselfs out, and if so, what was repair procedure?

thanks for everyones help!!

ps: check this out, when ignition is off, all is quiet, but with the ignition in run position engine off (koeo) alternator pully becomes charged with a magnetic field... socket sticks to it... turn key off socket falls off... go fiqure... any one else noticed this??? check it out...

f**ked up!

ok, i am sooooo :censored: stupid!!! i figured out that i cant read!!! when i said that i had checked the firing order 25 time it was not right!!! i was reading the manual and as the info was going across my brain it turned it around somehow... on the coil left bank i had it right...1,2,3... on the coil right bank i had it wrong... 4,5,6... when it should have been 5,6,4... i decided to recheck it and voila!!! it started!!! although now i am getting a c.e.l. light and getting c.m. code 176 heo2 lean, left side and koer 173 heo2 rich, right side... any ideas on how to fix??? thanks for all your help!!!!:biggthump

Now that it starts, and with "conflicting" O2 sensor readings on opposite sides, I wonder if you somehow got the O2 sensor wires crossed (left sensor plugged to right harness and right sensor in left harness). I've heard of others making that mistake and the result is similar to what you describe: one side runs rich and the other side runs lean.

i will check that, but i dont think that the wiring harness is long enough to reach opposite side, but i may be wrong... thanks

Back