• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer power steering leak

Coosfaba

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville, North Carolina "Race City USA" NASCAR Country
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT 4X4 sroof
I have a serious leak from underneath my steering column. It's coming from a bolt that's attached to a steering arm. It's just oosing out when you turn the wheel back and forth. Looks like maybe some kind of seal up inside it went bad. What is the cheapest way out? The bolt looks like it's easy to get at. Any ideas? I wish I could explain it better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And I think you're not getting any responses because folks don't have enough information. It sounds like the pitman arm attachment to the steering box. It would be helpful to post pics, or visit a site like autozone.com, find the steering schematic, and be more specific with the part names.:usa:

some picks would def be a plus here but sounds like maybe the gear box is leaking down on the pittman arm like mentioned .

family047.jpg

The leak is coming from underneath the steering column, where that pittnam arm bolt goes up into. Can I just change a seal?

Correction: I took your advice and went to the site that you gave and it led me to an Advance, right down the street for $17.48 Got the part and it may be going in this evening. Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Fixed! I had a machanic come to my house tonight and he picked up my Explorer. He charged me $40. for the labor. I think that was very fair considering he had to use a puller and it took him about 2 hrs. He said the hardest part was getting the old seals out that were up inside the gearbox. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

no problem ,glad to get you back on the road .

...I stopped by and visited my X today and seen I too, have a power steering leak...:eek:

...Thanks for posting the fix info, it just saved me some searching...:thumbsup:

I just did that job yesterday. The seals will come right out if you remove the Pitman arm, snap ring and then start the engine and turn the wheel to full right or left and hold. The p/s pressure will blow the seals out. Makes a bit of a mess that can be caught with a BIG pan. Whole job took about 45min. rolling around on the ground in my driveway.

Thank you and your welcome. This is good to know and saves a lot of money by not having to replace the whole gear box. :thumbsup:

Back