93 explrer "overheating" issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 explrer "overheating" issues

Well guys I finally went to the FORD dealership and bought a 197 degree t-stat and a 16lbs radiator cap (they said it was stock), now the weather here is about 65 degrees and my temp guage fluctuates from the R to the M. I dont know what it will happen when the temperature goes up.
I will keep you posted.
Does anybody have and Idea where the 200-210 degree mark is on that temperature guage on the dashboard? How do you test the guage if is accurate?
For example on my dad's jeep is in the middle.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to say that your gauge, when it reads between certain letters in NORMAL.........equates to X degree in "real" temp...........is not the best way to go about it. Some folks say their normal temps never get over 1/4 way. Mine reads between N and O usually.......going up a mountain, it will climb.

Well, I guess you could get a real temp gauge and read that against the FORD in dash gauge.

BTW, FORDs in dash gauge is said by some to be an, "idiot's gauge." Just watch your gauge and KNOW what is normal for your rig.

IMHO.....look at it as: IF......it starts to get higher than "your" normal.....you possibly got a problem brewing......unless there is a reasonable explaination.

Aloha, Mark

Delete

Aloha, Mark

make sure the oil pump is working properly because if there is not enough oil flow it could cause your engine to overheat.

Tenikiwon,

Let me first apologize.......for the previous post.

I don't want to discourage you about posting. That being said:

Temp rises to H, then idle kicks in and bring temp back to normal. I'm about to take a 1000 mile trip and want the best heads up on what it "might" be.

So, "H" I don't know. Typo error? But, IF you're trying to say that the temp reaches ____, and then comes back down to normal, when the t-stat opens...........that is normal operation, except for the part about "H". IF, it's waaay to high.......you possibly got a problem. Question is, "What did you mean by temp rises to H?"

Aloha, Mark

PS.......Only reason I said NOT TO TAKE IT ON A LONG TRIP.......is cause, I'd hate to see someone stranded. And, possibly at the mercy of some "unscrupulous" shop, that may try to take advantage of a traveler in need.

Back