Overheating issue??

willindsay

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sevierville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Well some bad news on the ole Girl today while heading over to one of my friends house the Temp gauge never showed really hot but after parking her I heard a gurgling sound. I popped the hood and saw bubbles from the overflow a minute after that coolant started pouring out. I left the hood open and hung out for a while. Before leaving I checked the coolant level and the Radiator was completely full. I topped off the overflow and left.

Well after driving a while I notice the temp climbing higher so I stopped looked under the hood and nothing abnormal but when I started her back up the gauge was all the way to the H. I kicked the heat on High and drove straight to my mechanic avoiding all traffic lights to keep her cooler.

The thermostat was replace less then 2months ago so I'm hoping it's the prob so it will be fixed under warranty. Oh and while it was still hot I squeezed the upper coolant tube and it had a lot pf pressure I could barley squeeze it

What do ya'll think??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm... really could be anything from the heater core to the radiator... and most everything in between.. hard to say. Have the mech check the coolant for hydrocarbons, make sure you didnt crack any heads/blow any gaskets during the heat up... Water pump perhaps... Overheating is extremely hard to diagnose when you're not looking at the vehicle.

Blockage somewhere, I would guess a thermostat. Thats the only thing that has changed recently. Did they use motorcraft or some other crap part? I would insist on motorcraft parts. I have had three aftermarket units fail in other vehicles we have.

Also take the radiator completely out of the truck and flush it through every hole it has with a garden hose. Thats the only real way to clean it out. If it has a single row, I would install a 2 row core unit. All my Exs are slowly getting 2 rows.

OK got the problem fixed. I had recently taken her out in some mud and I clogged up the front of the radiator blocking air flow. Mechanic wanted $60hr to clean it out. I took it to the local car wash and cleaned it for $1.25.

Lesson learned always spray out the Radiator.

OK got the problem fixed. I had recently taken her out in some mud and I clogged up the front of the radiator blocking air flow. Mechanic wanted $60hr to clean it out. I took it to the local car wash and cleaned it for $1.25.

Lesson learned always spray out the Radiator.

agreed. this is very important :)

glad you got it fixed before you had issues from overheating.

Yeah, these motors really don't like getting hot. Its amazing how much crap radiator fins can hold.

Back