93 ranger front carrier removal-HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 ranger front carrier removal-HELP!

Ward B

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
Hi i'm new to this site and new to getting help online, but here it goes....

background: 93 ranger xlt 4.0 l engine 5 speed manual auto locking front hubs

Repair required: u-joint on stubby shaft on right site of front differential

Present Status: on jack stands, 98% dissassembled... tires, hubs, bearings,calipers, rotors, spindles, left side axle shaft, right side axle shaft (to the slip joint only)

The Situation: to remove the stubby shaft assembly (for replacing the u-joint in it) , the carrier must be removed from the vehicle so you can access an internal c-clip which then allows the stubby shaft to slide out of the carrier.
I have unbolted the 10 bolts on the front face and detached the carrier, BUT

and now,

The Problem:there is one (4 inch) verticle bolt (i have remove the nut and it moves freely) but there isn't enough clearance to slide the bolt up and out and it is the only thing left holding the carrier in.

if anyone has pulled the front carrier from a 93 ranger, please help....how do i get that one bolt out???:eek: :confused: :eek:

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That bolt is a *****! You need to unbolt the radius arm at the rear bracket, and swing it out of the way. You'll have to loosen the radius arm bolt at the axle, too.

its easiest to remove the entire beam and radius arm from the truck as one unit
Once its out of the truck you can grind down the radius arm a bit to make it so the bolt can be removed, I believe I also ground down the head of the bolt just a bit so it would clear.

I have also replaced that U joint in the truck without removing anything

Thanks for the quick replies. That radius arm was my next plan of attack...That's today's project...

tonite i'll let you know how it went

Thanks for the advice on the Radius arm but i didn't have a 1 1/8" socket and i don't think i'd be able to budge those radius arm bolts to the axle either !

besides i figured it wouldn't make it any easier if i ever have to disassemble it again.... so i went with the grinding solution.

using a combination of an angle grinder and a dremel tool, i ground off about half of the head and flange of the bolt as well as rounding out the upper plate of the radius arm.... the bolt now slides straight up and out.

there should still be enough there to be strong enough when i reassemble it.

thanks for the help and encouragement

...the project continues...

Back