• Register Today It's free!

93 Rust-Out in Rockers

lm071098

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Has anyone experienced rusting out in the rear of the rocker panels on their 93's. Mine has rusted out on both sides. I live in Michigan so I'm sure the salt has something to do with it in the winter.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '91 XLT and i ahve experianced the same rusting that you are talking aobut. For the past few years i have just been getting down there and gringing as much rust off as i can than spraying some anti-rust stuff, and painting over it, but the rust seems to some back every year. It has dug to many holes and i cant get inside everyone to get all the rust out, so it continues. I think in the next year or so i will have to get new ones from an explorer from down south, that does not have as much ware on the skirts. By the way im from Northern CT, so i think the salt plays a big deal in it.
-Vic

I don't know why, but 99% of the trucks I've seen with the rockers on them have some amount of rust on them. I don't have them myself, but I see it all the time. I also can't give a good reason why it happens or how to prevent it, but thats just my two cents. Sorry for being no help.

Mine too and I'm mad about it!

My '92 XLT has the same problem. I even had a dealer fix it once, now you can't tell which side was fixed. Both are rusted through under the rear of the second set of doors.

The dealer told me that Ford had a service bulliten on them for a while but has since retracted it. After '93 (I think) some design changes incorporated the integrated running board to remedy the problem.

I want to write a letter to Ford asking them what they intend to do about this - it was a design flaw in the first place, and they recognized it in later model years.

Anyone want to write this letter with me? Perhaps we can take photos of our rocker panels and submit them enmass.

The above is My Own Opinion (MOO)

More Information on rusted Rockers

I found 2 service bulletins on Rust and chipped paint for my '92 explorer on the NHTSB web site:

Dead Link Removed

When you fill out the form, make sure you use "FORD TRUCK" and "EXPLORER".

I called the Ford Customer Relationship Number (800)392-3673 and gave them all the info about my situation. Unless the car is in warrenty 36/36000 they won't pay for any work.<br>

I asked the rep to forward my information and that I wasn't satisfied with the stock Ford answer.<br>

She told me that the more people that call the better the chances that Ford will do something.

<b>Please call!</b> Tell them your rusted out Rocker Panel situation and why you are not satisfied that:

<li>Ford recognizes the problem</li><br>
<li>Ford re-designed their vehicles due to the desing flaw</li><br>
<li>Ford refuses to fix our problems</li><br>

-MOO<br>
Date of Bulletin: 9108
NHTSA Item Number: SB028828
Make: FORD TRUCK
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 1992
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
Summary: 1992 EXPLORER, PAINT CHIPPING PROTECTION-FORD DEALERS <br>

Service Bulletin Number: 97210
Bulletin Sequence Number: 3
Date of Bulletin: 9701
NHTSA Item Number: SB051393
Make: FORD TRUCK
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 1992
Component: STRUCTURE:FRAME:MEMBERS AND BODY
Summary: BODY - RUST PERFORATION - QUARTER PANEL - SERVICE TIPS. *TW
<br>

Thanks for everyone's reply on this subject! I am willing to send a letter or call or whetever to see if Ford will do something to fix this problem.

Fix for Rusty Rocker Panel Problem.

My 1991 Explorer had the rusted rocker panel problem too. In 1993, Ford covered the rocker panels up with a plastic or fiberglass skirt. That protects the rockers and lower door from rocks, but it did not fix the rust problem on the rocker panels (although it does mask it for a while so it can't be seen).

The problem is with the internal construction and the failure of Ford to seal the seams between spot-welded panels. With the internal construction of that area of the vehicle, there is no way to rustproof that area of the panel. There forward rocker panel goes behind the rear one all the way back to the wheel well . . . with only a small fraction of an inch between them. There is no way to rustproof that. The two panels are spot-welded together, but the seam you see below the back door is not sealed. Moisture (and salt for those of us in the northern climites) travels right through the seam. Similarly, the seam all along the inside of the wheel well is not sealed, so moisture gets in there and runs down into the rocker panel. It is inevitable, the rocker panel will rust out.

What can be done?
The dealer can cut out the rusty metal and weld in a new panel. This, however will not solve the problem. The problem will return, just like fantasygraybear experienced.

Another approach is to replace the panel with a fiberglass panel. That's what I did. Both of my rocker panels are now fiberglass. I now have one of the few 91 explorers in this area that does not have rusty rocker panels.

Where did I get the fiberglass rocker panels? I made them. I created a mold that creates the rocker panels.

I cut the old rusty metal out, sandblasted the area, treated the interior of the area with POR-15, I fiberglassed the new panels in place, and then textured and painted the area. They look just like brand new again. I have pictures of the entire process. I'll be happy to post them out here for you to see if someone will tell me how to do that.

Rusted rockers

I have the same problem on my 92 XLT. I figure, "heck I live in Michigan, stuff rusts". In fact ask anyone with a full size Bronco who lives in the North about the tailgate. Nearly every one is rusted out.

To fix my Exploder I cut out all the rust and then cleaned out the inside of the rockers etc. They were caked with mud and sand so I used a high pressure hose at the coin carwash. When they were dry, I sprayed some rust inhibitant into the void and then coated it with undercoating. Next I took some spray foam insulation, the kind that expands and then drys hard, and filled the void with that. It is very messy and oozes out all over. I taped some cardboard over the rust hole and then sprayed it in through small hole. This keeps it in. When it was hard/dry I cut it and sanded it down to about a half inch below the surrounding metal. I then poked a couple holes in it and covered it with bondo. When that dryed I sanded and finished it and painted it. Looked pretty good and has held up a year so far. I expect that I may have to do it again this fall, might just sand it down to see if it working.

I to have a 91 Sport with quarters full of mud. I've drilled holes in the bottom in hopes of being able to stick a coat hanger up there to get some of the sand out but that didn't work too well. Water does seem to drain out (leaving nice rust stains) but I can't figure out how to get the mud out without cutting apart the quarters. Is there a way to do this?

Barry

Back