93 XL 4 Door 4x4 explorer weel bearings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 XL 4 Door 4x4 explorer weel bearings

zjac

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL 4 Door 4x4
I just bought this beautie from a friend and it needs some work. I wanna start with the wheel bearings and was wonderig if anyone had advice or tips to offer on the parts and doing the work?

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front or rear? If front, manual or auto hubs?

Get good quality bearings, like Timken brand, or you'll have to do it again sooner than later. I've had cheapo bearings pit the races in the rotors too and that was a pain because it tore up both the bearing and the race. Check the rotor races before doing a bearing swap.

Be careful not to over-torque the nut that sets the bearing pre-load. Too loose is bad too.

I use SKF / Timken bearings, races and seals, not had any issues, but they do need changing by the time I'm doing the brakes. I follow the advice given in this post.
Glacier has an excellent write up, that got me to originally join this site.

Just so you have it, "Set 37" is the bearing/race combo part # for the timken bearings.

I don't know if you are running stock sized tires or have manual hubs, but once you get to about 33" tall tires, It gets pretty hard to keep the bearings tight using the proper (book) procedure..

~Mark

I got some cheaper bearings cause I intend to replace just about everything on it and dont dont want to spend a lot of cash yet. Its 100% but I intend to change that, and doing vehicle upgrades is new territory for me along with replacing the wheel bearings. Thanks for the suggestions on bearings I'll keep them in mind for when I'm farther in the project. Also I'm looking to pick up an owners manual you guys know of any good places to pick one up?

Also I'm looking to pick up an owners manual you guys know of any good places to pick one up?
If you don't want to pay anything and don't mind one for a 1991, check my signature.

Follow maniac, lots of excellent posts in here, great resource.

I have 93 and 94 owners manuals.

Back