• Register Today It's free!

94 auto tranny leak?!

slowimport

Reaction score
City, State
New Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt auto
hey guys. i am new here, but i have a big problem. i have a 94 explorer with a 4.0 ,auto tranny, and 135,000 miles. last night i was driving on the highway for an extensive period of time (1 1/2 hours). the rpm's were about 3000-3500 the whole way. i noticed smoke coming out the back of the car, so i pulled over and took a look underneath the car and there was alot of tranny fluid leaking out. it was basically pouring out. i got off the highway right away, and let it cool down. i then started it back up and checked the fluid level, it was low. i filled it up and started driving again. i drove real easy the rest of the way home, keeping the rpm's around 2000. it didnt leak at all until i pulled in my driveway. it then started leaking bad again. i woke up this morning and my car wouldn't move (probably due to not enough pressure). the leak looks like its coming from the front of the tranny...right where it bolts to the block. im afraid to drive it because im not sure if it is just going to "go". im stuck with no car and the local ford dealer wants $120 plus a tow fee just to diagnose it. have you guys heard of this before? im thinking maybe the front seal, but im no expert on fords....thanks alot!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's right...front seal. Sounds just like mine when it went. I paid $800 to have mine replaced. You have to remove the tranny to get to that seal.

Just to be sure, refill the tranny (don't overfill too much), start it up and see where it is coming from. Sometimes the front seal only leaks when it is warm/hot. If it comes out at the front of the bbellhousing near the starter, it is almost sure that the front seal went south. The other things are TC bolts or TC (very, very rare). You have an A4LD (Automatic 4-speed Light Duty), predecessor to the 4R55E/5R55E/5R55W.

Here's Glacier991's A4LD rebuild diary:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98027

Here's Frankentranny (this project started out to eliminate the front seal blowout issue - it is way too common for my liking):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117793

Welcome to the board, sorry it couldn't be under better circumstances.

hey thanks alot for such a quick response. i took the day off toay and i am going to rip the tranny off to take a look at that seal. it is definetely leaking from the bellhousing, right up at the front. also, is a 4R55E a "bolt in" tranny upgrade, or would i have to upgrade other things as well. i have heard of alot of problems with the A4LD, and i would like to rid any problems before they happen...thanks again, and im definetely glad i found you guys..

The 4R55 is just (well more or less there were a FEW upgrades) an A4LD with computer shifting added in. You cannot just bolt it in (it will bolt in) and have it work due to computer issues. The A4LD can be upgraded on a rebuild.

Frankly, at 135,000 if you have done the work to pull the trannie you might seriously consider rebuilding it while it is out.. You CAN DIY rebuild it... see the Diary thread.

It i also a possibility that you had a slipping OD band (why you had 3500 rpms maybe) and the trannie was just overheated and was overventing fluid. My A4LD suffers that problem, which is what started the Rebuild Diary in the first place.

would a bad od band cause a "rattle" noise when accelerating? i noticed that after the tranny warmed up, and i would be accelerating(usually on the highway), i would hear a rattling noise from the front of the car. as soon as i would let off the gas, it would stop. and, is it a big job to change the band after the tranny is out of the car? or is it pretty simple? thanks...

A rattle as you describe it sounds more like a heat shield or something. I cannot say I've ever heard anyone attribute a rattle to the band, And no, to answer your Q...it's not all that tough a job... the OD is the first thing in the case once you pull the bellhousing.... look at the disassembly portion of the A4LD thread. Mind you, it is surmise on my part that your OD band is in fact slipping. But...If I replaced the band I'd replace the servo too.

Back