• Register Today It's free!

'94 Cheap System Build. Thoughts?

RickAKATed10

Reaction score
City, State
IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
My XLT only has an AM/FM cassette player in it and I want to upgrade, but on big time budget. I've found the following and just wanted to see if I'm going in the right direction. Thanks!

Sony Xplod CDXGT55UIW Car MP3 CD Receiver w/ USB & AUX Inputs - $50
B0042X96II-1.jpg

Sony 6.5" 190W GTF Series Full Range 2-Way Coaxial Speakers - $20
0490552472790_500X500.jpg

Also, will the 6.5" speakers work? I think, from what I've read they will. Thank you!

I have to edit this because I just found the following as well...

Sony Xplod XS-GTX100LW 10" Car Subwoofer - $20
0002724277222_300X300.jpg

Also, I've searched a bit, but was hoping some one could clarify the Metra or Scosche wire harness I'll need to ensure the receiver is a simple plug-n-play application. Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guy's I'm having a really tough time finding the right dash kit and wire harness. Can anyone give me a quick hand with that? Thanks a lot.

Also, do I have get a set of removal keys like these?

rrkfd4.jpg

Thanks again!

5.25 speakers will fit with brackets.

I'd go with a different head unit, a cheaper pioneer/alpine would be LOADS better.

What are you gonna power the subwoofer with? You'll need an amp for that as well.

5.25 speakers will fit with brackets.

I'd go with a different head unit, a cheaper pioneer/alpine would be LOADS better.

What are you gonna power the subwoofer with? You'll need an amp for that as well.

I actually already bought the Sony receiver. I'm sure it'll serve me fine. I'm not looking for audiophile sound here.

Also, according to Crutchfield, 5x7, 5 1/4, 6x8, 6.5 (modified fit, probably shouldn't bother), and 6 3/4 all fit. Sonic Electrix says 6x8 or 5x7. Are they wrong? And if I did go with that Sub, I do have an old 400 watt Pyramid amp in a closet some where that I use to have powering two 10" Jensen (haha!) subs.

crutch field will show you the type of dash kit you will need

Yes, you will want those keys.
The factory size hole is a 5x7. So all of those sizes will fit. Some take more work than others.

Yes, you will want those keys.
The factory size hole is a 5x7. So all of those sizes will fit. Some take more work than others.

Awesome. Thank you for sharing. Any quick input on the correct harness. I'm pretty certain I just have the basic base stereo.

I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure. You all have experience with this. I'm just a dumb noob. ;)

haha. give it some time and youll realize how much you learn from this forum. really a great place for information.

haha. give it some time and youll realize how much you learn from this forum. really a great place for information.

Yeah, I've already learned quite a bit. I've been on forums for my last 3 vehicles and I can't stress enough how beneficial it is.

Glad to be here!

Yeah, I've already learned quite a bit. I've been on forums for my last 3 vehicles and I can't stress enough how beneficial it is.

Glad to be here!

did you get all the components for the set up yet?

Not everything.

I'm waiting on the receiver to come in the mail, but I haven't decided on speakers yet. Not sure if I want a sub at this time either, and I still need the dash kit and wire harness.

So I'm not really even close. lol

You can make those keys out of a coat hanger. That's what I did.

You wouldn't, but I won't argue. Anyways, I'd love to update my EB's sound system. I want a stock head unit, given that the current one is aftermarket and doesn't have the controls for the CD changer.

You wouldn't, but I won't argue. Anyways, I'd love to update my EB's sound system. I want a stock head unit, given that the current one is aftermarket and doesn't have the controls for the CD changer.

I'd imagine you can pick up a stock one for cheap.

Those removal tools will work fine. You won't need a dash kit since you are replacing a single din with another single din unit.

As for the wiring harness it depends on what you had stock. If you have the premium system with an amp in the rear it won't.

With the stock speaker amp you have to put a jumper harness in the rear hatch panel where the amp is located to get the most out of your system.

Those removal tools will work fine. You won't need a dash kit since you are replacing a single din with another single din unit.

As for the wiring harness it depends on what you had stock. If you have the premium system with an amp in the rear it won't.

With the stock speaker amp you have to put a jumper harness in the rear hatch panel where the amp is located to get the most out of your system.

Thank you, and I don't believe I have an amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I bought the Scosche FD021 harness, and it won't work. There's no way to plug it into the wires I have currently plugged into my radio.

ScoscheFD021.jpg

Since this is the case, what harness do I actually need? Do I need the FDK10B?

5279889065bb594ceb13ae5c9042.jpg

I do NOT want to have to get a FAI-3 Level Convertor!!

Please help! Thank you.

Back