94 Explorer A/C leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer A/C leak

zkt

Reaction score
Bout that time of the year again so I gathered my manifold guages, charging hose and fed just short of 2 12oz cans of 134 into the low side as I have been doing for several years. The test drive was ice cold as usual so I went home to warm up. An hour later the wife sent me to the store and well guess you can guess the rest. So I did a quick inspection hoping that I might see some oil- no go. But the little drier looking thing just aft of the compressor is mighty rusty. I cant find it at AZ, no surprise there, and neither at Rock Auto. It it a muffler or what? My best guess as to the leak`s location is the high side shrader valve. Is this common? Would think that the UV dye would show uo well there. Is this valve core the same as a tire valve core?
Great forum.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 91 had the same little canister, it turned out to be some kind of filter. I do many muscle car ac systems and none of the have a filter like this. i just had a new line made to delete this, and it has worked well. as for the schrader valve, it is different from the tire ones, but you can still get them from your local parts store. These are very common leak points. when you remove the dust caps is there any pressure release, if not there is no leak here.

IF that rusty part that you described is on the hose.........it sounds like a "muffler" on the line. I believe that it's not something to just take off and replace. On my '94 Explorer it's factory crimped on the line.

IF you're taking about an accumulator mounted on the firewall..........yes, it's a common leaking point when rusty.

As for the schrader valve.......try asking the guy at your local well informed auto parts store.

I once had to replace a schrader valve located behind my A/C low pressure switch (can't remember if it was on my FORD or Chevy). The NAPA guy said that it was a common tire schrader valve. But, what do I know. I thought that at least it would have to be rated for a particular pressure of an AC system.

Then, take a look at the different valve cores found here.........

http://tools.ntxtools.com/search/index?query=valve

As for adding 2 cans a year. I wouldn't, IMHO.........2 cans a year is a BIG leak.

NOW IS A GOOD TIME, to do a dye test and to take some proper readings with a manifold gauge.

Aloha, Mark

Ender up replacing everything but the condenser and the short line from the conderner to the bottom evaporator line. Piss poor evaporator design there with the long tube to the accumulator unsupported- cracked at the weld. Could have probably been fixed but replaced it anyway. Its good for another 10 years now.

zkt,

Yup........my '94 went through a lot of stuff having to be changed (did it a while back). Accumulator, orifice tube, evaporator, hose w/manifold and compressor. Can't even remember what I spent.

Then.........the "add insult to injury" part was............FORD had placed a sticker on the vehicle calling for 1 lb. 8 oz. of R-134a.

Well, it didn't work with only 1 lb. 8 oz. I scratched my head for a long while trying to figure out what was wrong.

So, one day I looked at the NAPA specs and found that my system was suppose to have 36 oz. of R-134a.

I filled her up.......and viola.....COLD AIR. That FORD guy should be shot.

Aloha, Mark

Back