94 explorer A4LD problems | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer A4LD problems

alright, going to buy new servos and swap the modulator from the bronco parts truck i got. see what happens.

if not, rebuild the valve body and put a shift kit in. might as well make it fun if the valve body is going to be out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alright, i dropped the pan today, and a piece of the band made its way into the pan. i guess the band was fractured before and losing pressure, and by tightening them, it eventually got worse and broke.

i think i'm just going to pop on another transmission, but how hard would it be to just put a new band in? whats involved?

this summer (if i swap in another one), i think i'm going to follow the rebuild diary and build the old one up with updated parts, but whats involved in a band change?

yea, that thread is waiting for me

i'm going to use that 2.9 bronco II transmission in the meantime, see how well it works

yea, my overdrive is still working, so i know its the other band.

i'll see how that 2.9 bolts up. earlier in this thread it said that it was a different bolt battern, like reinforcement bolts to the 4.0L oil pan that this doesn't have. Do you or anyone know what might happen with this?

I think the only difference would be the 3.0L bell housing compared to the other bell housings. The torque converters are different for the 3.0L compared to the 4.0L. These transmissions are modular, so you could swap bell housings, and extension housings.

is it possible to switch the bellhousings? pull the old one off from the 4.0 and put it on the 2.9?

i also just checked wikipedia for bell housing patterns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns

Taunus pattern

* 1.2/1.5/1.7L Taunus V4
* 2.6/2.8/2.9/2.9 Cosworth/4.0L Cologne V6

I think it should work. The first gen 4 litres were based off the cologne, right? Because my 2.9 was cologne.

I have the same shifting problem on my 94' after 1rst gear it goes into all others fine, but i have no idea where to start, where is the kickdown cable located, and there is a hose on the top side of the tranny that goes nowhere it looks like its been cut, if you unbolt the service pan on the floorboard above the trans there lies the hose. leading nowhere, someone help please its a strong running truck almost 300000 on it and still going.

Dude, when I had trans problems I spent a great deal of time searching the transmission forum. If I could give you any suggestions, buy the ATSG transmission manuals and read up before you do anything. Could that be the vent line you are talking about? The adjuster is on the firewall. Do some searches.

I guess I will post a follow up for this two year old thread:

I eventually ended up getting a transmission from a wrecked 91 explorer that was recently rebuilt. It was sitting a while, and after dealing with a bad modulator, it drove really good. It eventually started shifting into high gears too early, and wouldn't kickdown until your foot was too the floor. This ended up making the whole truck shake from O/D to 2nd gear during kickdown. It also pretty much started skipping 3rd gear, going from 2nd - 4th (this was on the new trans).

So one night, after reading the ATSG troubleshooting, I had to come to a conclusion that the solenoids in my rebuilt transmission were wearing out. I did a whole valve body swap from my old transmission and it has been working great ever since.

Apparently you can get a lot of cheap parts when you rebuild these transmissions, because I have replaced the modulator and solenoid pack/valve body already. Unless they weren't done during the rebuild.

Back