94 explorer auto locking hubs

Billings

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer
HELP!!!
Sorry if this is a double question but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for when I search for my problem.

I can't seem to get my hubs to lock. The axle shaft are turning. The shift motor is working but the hubs won't lock.

I was wondering if someone could explain how the inside of a 94 explorer auto locking hub works. I have the gear and ring out. That snap ring was a PITA! Looking inside I can't figure out how the gear comes up and locks onto the spindle. I see a plastic piece that has a piece of metal coiled up under it followed by another gear looking piece and a fat spring under that. Is the big spring suppose to push the whole assembly up? It was packed full of grease so I cleaned it out the best I could. I just don't see how the whole thing locks unless it is too dirty/gunked up for anything to move properly. It will move some when I push the whole assembly down with a flat head. Can someone help me please! Everything looks good. No wearing or anything like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum, The best advice I can give you on this, is go with the manual hub conversion, it will save you a headache.

Thats what my husband is screaming!! LOL! Looking at the hubs everything looks fine. No wear or anything. We just can't figure out exactly how the hubs lock onto the spindle. Its confusing. There are no diagrams for us to look at. I was hoping someone could explain what we are looking at so we don't feel so dumb staring at it like IT'S going to answer us!:D

Thx! That had a lot of useful info. One question..... what part is the actual
4x4 locking piece? The hub that comes off or the spindle piece? I know I probably sound like a dumb woman but this is my first 4x4 so I'm clueless on what I'm looking at. They worked fine before but had a hard time getting them to disengage. It wasn't till after I had front in work done that this problem came up.

...Bottom of the first post in that thread has links to really informative auto hub info...;)

THX!!! Great pics! Looking at the pictures helped me a lot. Got a question about what I am noticing now. My cam assembly on the spindle has only one spring on it where the pictures on that post under 1st gen brake diary and chilton book show two springs. So am I suppose to have one or two springs?

I switched ours out for manuals, now it 4 wheels and drives thru snow like a big truck, I wouldn't even screw with the stock ones.

I'm a little partial because it is how mine is set up, but the best way I see is with factory Warn manual hubs.

I have thought about changing over to the Warn premium manual hubs, but I have been told here that the Warn premium hub is stronger than some of the other drive components, and it is better to have your hub be the weak link because it is not very expensive and easily replaced. Too bad, I really like the look and design of the Warn premium hub.

Back