• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer brake problems

threefishsally

Reaction score
City, State
oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
1994 4wd xlt; one front brake almost locking at times, getting hot, smells burnt. will return to normal after cool-down and restarting after an hour or two. brake pedal also travels too far at all times, about three-quarters to the floor. fluid level is normal,no leaks around the master cylinder.help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with bleeding your brakes. It sounds like you have air in the system. You also have to check the rear wheel cylinders to rule out a leak. This would explain the peddle play and the caliper getting stuck. I would recommend inspecting the calipers and re-lubing the caliper pins with anti-seize and check your pads for glazing. It is a good idea to disconnect the battery when bleeding the brakes if you have ABS. Just my two cents.

Thanks, Matt

Not trying to steal this thread away or anything, but I am also having brake issues. My brakes are fine, but at times, I go to school and my truck sits there for about 6 hours in the lot. When I leave school, sometimes the brakes are touchy. Meaning, I press down on them lightly and nothing then suddenly, all tires lock up.

If the fluid in the master cyl. is black/dark/dirty, flush out the system with a few cans (or one big can, but pour it into a little can to fill the master cyl to make it easier) of fresh brake fluid, bleeding until new, clear fluid comes out all 4 corners.

The front calipers have slide pins that should be greased every so often with synthetic brake caliper grease, the slide pins let them center up around the brake disc.

If you feel like it, rebuilt front calipers for these are extremely inexpensive (I paid $13 ea/ at Napa, which was less than a rebuild kit), so you can throw on new calipers before bleeding rather than waste a lot of time troubleshooting if you think the calipers have anything to do with it.

You should also check the brake lines and hoses, too. The stock rubber hoses can get cracks and bubbles, and if it's really bad, they will develop a bubble that gets rather large when the pedal is pressed, making the pedal pressure go towards expanding the bubble and not squeezing the brakes.

Back