94 Explorer EGR issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer EGR issues

californiacoug

Reaction score
94 Explorer Limited with 225,000 miles. Put it up for sale and BAM! Check Engine Light. If flashes two codes:
327: EGR below voltage, then
565: EGR vacuum low (or something like that)

From the forums it looks like it is either the EGR Vacuum Solenoid, DPFE Sensor, or the EGR Valve. Here is the thing. I just need it to pass smog, since it is up for sale and I already have it listed below Kelly Blue Book so I don't want to throw a bunch of money at it just guessing.

Has anyone had this issue or these codes before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is also an EGR pressure sensor. It's relatively cheap and an easy install. I believe it senses the vacuum to the EGR valve so it could be your culprit. When I took the vacuum lines off mine, a ton of white powder fell out. I presumed this was bad and just replaced it.

565 is a canister purge solenoid circuit fault? my advise is just replace the whole egr system is about $110 parts....my question do u have a code scanner? or did u pull these codes with paper clip method?

There is also an EGR pressure sensor. It's relatively cheap and an easy install. I believe it senses the vacuum to the EGR valve so it could be your culprit. When I took the vacuum lines off mine, a ton of white powder fell out. I presumed this was bad and just replaced it.

The EGR pressure sensor is the DPFE he mentioned. This little module fails and water vapor is what kills it. Failure of the DPFE usually is more of a nuisance than a major running issue but it will throw codes.

Check your EGR valve, that it is not crudded up. If it is, you can brush off the crud with a bristle brush and use carb cleaner to soften the crud. Verify that the EGR valve's internal diaphragm is good by applying vacuum to it (try sucking on a vacuum hose connected to it) and verify that it is not leaking down. Check the EGR position sensor's wires and the vacuum hose to the EGR valve. If they are good, check the vacuum hoses that go to the DPFE. Often pulling the hoses off the DPFE will reveal crud inside the DPFE hose fittings.

The DPFE module costs a bit but you may find a good deal on RockAuto or 1AAuto.

Finally, welcome to the forum!

The EGR pressure sensor is the DPFE he mentioned. This little module fails and water vapor is what kills it. Failure of the DPFE usually is more of a nuisance than a major running issue but it will throw codes.

Check your EGR valve, that it is not crudded up. If it is, you can brush off the crud with a bristle brush and use carb cleaner to soften the crud. Verify that the EGR valve's internal diaphragm is good by applying vacuum to it (try sucking on a vacuum hose connected to it) and verify that it is not leaking down. Check the EGR position sensor's wires and the vacuum hose to the EGR valve. If they are good, check the vacuum hoses that go to the DPFE. Often pulling the hoses off the DPFE will reveal crud inside the DPFE hose fittings.

The DPFE module costs a bit but you may find a good deal on RockAuto or 1AAuto.

Finally, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome! I will try these things you mentioned and let you know. Based on what you said I am guessing it is the DPFE because the engine runs fine. It also passed the engine portion of the test but failed the visual part because of the light. Actually it was burned out and I didn't know it, but that made it fail the test(California smog test). When I replaced the bulb I discovered the CEL on and used the paperclip method to get the codes.

So, I bought a pressure sensor. When I took the old one off just moving it broke the two vacuum lines that used to be rubber. I don't know if the dry rotted lines where the problem or not, but I already had the part so I put it on and used some new hose that I already had. Problem solved. For future reference there was one symptom I forgot to mention. The CEL would not come on until the engine had run for a couple minutes if it was already warm or 5-10 minutes if it was cold. Thanks for your help and your warm welcome.

Probably a moot point by now, but the "Vacuum" lines are actually pressure lines coming up from the riser tube. If you weren't selling the vehicle, I'd recommend you replacing the rubber hoses with a silicone based hose designed for the heat, or they will very soon loosen up and fall off again.

Back