• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer grille gaurd

Dakotafit

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula mt
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer xlt
I’m trying to figure out what everyone has put of the front of their 1st gen ex for grille gaurd. I want to keep my bumper stock and just add the guard. Can’t seem to find one for mine. What are my options

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been talked about here in a few threads and the consensus is that nobody makes one for first gen Explorers anymore.

I’m trying to figure out what everyone has put of the front of their 1st gen ex for grille gaurd. I want to keep my bumper stock and just add the guard. Can’t seem to find one for mine. What are my options
Welcome to explorerforum.
Depending on the desired style, you may find unexpected competition.
Are you looking for full wraparound brush guard? Non wrap around brushguard? bull bar? crawler guard with skid plate?
gorhino and westin guards are the most easily acquired. There are "generations" to gorhino, and if you find a first gen wraparound brush guard ("stepguard"), someone will buy from you to subsidize your purchase of a different guard.
2nd gen gorhinos or westins are expensive to ship as they can't be broken down.

iirc was it warn or westin i think warn used to make one you can mount a winch to. think weetin and gorhino made ones too.

Neglected to ask whether you have a Limited. That can complicate the matter.

what changes?
The bumper, or rather the bumper cover on the Limited presents limitations(HA!) of installing guards meant to be drop-in installs for the ranger/bronco II/explorer. Cutting slots in the cover is the obvious solution. But if you want to be able to return to stock, a custom bracketing solution is necessary. Helped someone with a ( super-dope) ranger, with an ex- limited front, weld up a custom chrome go-rhino non wrap stepguard. Looked awsome on his ranger, but still had to cut into the limited cover to accomodate the go-rhino that was meant for the stock front.
The "second-gen" go rhino I think clears the limited cover , but not sure atm. collected many photos over years, can look.
Lookout for awesome (91?) ranger near camp pendleton.

Back