• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Transmission Help!!

Jameshuden

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer EB Edition
First off I noticed a leak coming from my transmission. I just found out yesterday that the front seal Is out. Thats why I am leaking transmission fluid when It warms up. So I am driving It home today and then for no reason the transmission slips out of gear and now when I put It In any gear It will not move. The rpms will go high but It will not move and you can hear what sounds like the gears In the transmission grinding against each other. It sounds bad..
What should I do?? If I have to replace the transmission what should I look for and how much does a good used transmission go for?? I have been reading In other forums and this one that the A4LD 4sp Auto transmission has alot of problems. Should I use another transmission say from a bronco or maybe a ranger that would fit Into a Explorer without any modifications so I can get away from the A4LD 4sp Auto transmission?
Also Is It possible for me to change It out or should I send It to a shop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you need to ask if you can change it it sounds like you might not have the expereince needed. if you are adventurous i would say go for it. im not sure on a new tranny, i know i just went with a c6 and a v8 when my tranny went out. it sounsd like you need fluid in your tranny so you can get her to move again. dont forget it has to be warm and idling when you check it

Ok well thank you and I have read that I can use a different transmission but I am not sure what will fit right..

Can anyone tell me If you have read anywhere on someone changing out a 94 Explorer A4LD transmission with a transmission from another truck?? I have read In more than a few forums that the A4LD transmission In the Explorer Is junk and If I have to change It out I do not want to put a transmission back In that will just go out a few months down the line.. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

definition of A4LD
A= Automatic
4= 4 fwd speeds
L= Light
D= Duty

So by definition we know its a light duty tranny built off the C3 platform. Its alittle stronger in the Explorer platform than in the Mustangs but still again as you see it isnt a performance tranny.
Why not look at trannys from the newer Explorers? It should be an easy swap.

The A4LD used the computer to control only the TCC lockup and the 3-4 shift. The newer transmissions (4R55E and 5R55E) control everything with the computer. The swap would require an entire new computer setup, rewiring etc. Simply put, very very difficult, not a bolt in. Some people have apparently done a C-4 swap, and there is a 700R4 adapter out there. Each is a fairly major effort and high on the skill level chart. The A4LD can be built better than what the usual rebuilders do, see the thread on the A4LD Rebuild in the Useful Threads Diary.

Well thanks for all of your Input. I have looked at the guide that you are speaking of Glacier991. I am just not sure If I could under take such a task. At most I have the skill to pull the bad tranny and put a new one In as long as It bolts up right.. Does anyone now how good the Mazda 5sp Manual transmission Is that they put In the 94 Explorer?? How hard would It be to go from auto transmission to Manual?

My Mazda 5speed (m5od) has had no problems, and only had to replace the clutch once so far. It has just over 160,000 miles on it now.

Listen to Chris, the manual trans option is likely your one other choice. How much fluid have you added?

My 91 XLT leaks from the front seal. It leaks virtually nothing for about 30-45 minutes. I quit driving it because after an hour to 90 minutes, it will leak very fast. My trans is not bad, the front seal is bad.

Check your fluid level carefully. Check both sides of the dipstick, and ignore the higher reading side. Fill the trans until you reach the cross hatch marks. Place the shifter in each gear, for several seconds. Check the fluid again.

When you have done that, then try to test drive it again, without hard throttle. Good luck,

I'd only add, and caution that I have never done it, that swapping in a manual may be a bit of work to add a clutch pedal etc where one did not exist. Certainly doable, but any swap to something different than stock is probably pretty high on the skill level chart .. I guess that is my message.

Thanks to all of you for your help.. I am going to stick with the auto transmission. I just need to get It back to my house and as I said before as soon as I put It Into gear the transmission starts making a lot of noise and It won't move. I was told to fill It with fluid until It Is coming out of the dip stick housing and then I should at least beable to get It home. Has anyone had to do that before??

The C5 is almost a bolt in if he is a 4X4. They were in early BIIs. He will need to move the crossmember and change driveshafts. Modify some wiring, etc. I would much rather have a 3 speed auto thats strong than a weak A4LD. A lot of people are running them in later trucks.

Back