Something is wrong with my tranny

Brandons

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
today when i was backing out of a mud parking lot, reved about 3k rpm for a bit, and suddenly the transmission disengages with no bump, clunk, or any other noise. I put it into forward, and its just like its in neutral. No gears work, if i go from park to R,N,OD,D,2,1 its all neutral.

I have no clue whats wrong, there its no transmission fluid pressure to the cooler at the front.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i beleive the transmission is a A4LD (4spd OD).

**cable linkage is fine**

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's usually a sign of the beginning of the end. :(

yeah... i just hope its something stupid and simple that ive overlooked... but its probably the worst case.. time to start savin for a new tranny and while im at it, 5.0 swap :p

Ok some more stuff. No fluid leakage, just like normal except all gears are neutral, and park is still park, I fear this will require a rebuild.

How I did that

:banghead: The same thing happened to me, but it happened a little bit differently for me, I reved it up to 5,555RPM and slamed it into drive from park, that was when I first got it(stupid move). The input shaft was sheered into 50 peices.
I had the same symptoms, but I know you wrote you didnt hear anything, but it might have already been twisted a little, and revving it up finished the job, I have a 4.0L w/4spd auto 2wd, but the same could happen from age, wear or rough housing it.
So check the input shaft, it might be broke, sheered or stripped out.
I don't know how much it would cost you, but it costed me $1,900 to fix.

Yeah.. well. How do i find out if its that, do i have to pull the tranny?

and i would expect some damage, parents abused that thing with a 5000+lbs trailer going for 4hours (there and back), im sure that did alot of damage that isnt really known, let alone towing that trailer for a few times after for shorter distances. SAll good, they are payin for the repairs anyways, i just need to know if i should pull the tranny or not, could it be dead synchros?

Believe it or not...if the fluid is too low, it will do that exact thing....check and add....

My trans fluid is too high, in fact over an inch too high, it was not this high before, and theres no fluid going to the cooler at the front, making me think my filters plugged big time, or a line, or something. Also when i put it in reverse or any drive the engine will bog down a little like it normally does, which also has me really confused.

Today i just pressure washed under the truck and i got a friend who i hope can help me figure out the problem (mechanic, really awsome at alot of things).

Ok, just spoke with him, says its probably my trans pump, so its probably gonna get pulled and im going to get a towing shift kit installed with the rebuilt.

update, reverse is forward... i start the truck, stick it in reverse right away, back left wheel spins forward.... this isnt good i figure.?

Transmission is out, wonderfull way to spend my may 24 weekend.... I also plan on doing a bunch of engine stuff to clean up the engine compartment a bit.

been another week now... hopefully the damn thing goes to the shop tomorrow.

Back