'94 explorer XLT:serious leaking leading to overheating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 explorer XLT:serious leaking leading to overheating

compguy90620

Reaction score
City, State
Buena Park, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Because of the lack of car knowledge, I won't know many terms, so I will describe location/appearance/etc. One day I was driving back my '94 XLT 4x2 explorer (more than 200k miles on it, but my dad gets it fixed very often, so its in good condition) and the car began to get some smoke. I figured it didn't have enough water/coolant since it has had some minor leakage, so I put water in it, where it normally goes, right next to the radiator. The next day, as I was driving, within 10 minutes, alot of smoke began to come out, and I mean ALOT. I pushed the car until I got to school. By that time, everytime I stepped on the accelerator, I heard like tin cans being dragged. Well, my dad came to help me and there was some major leakage, not under the radiator area, but towards the back of the motor, towards the left of the motor (the radiator thing where water goes is towards the right). There were MAJOR LEAKS. We brought it back home by stopping at every gas station in our way to replace the water. Now I have no car. Can anyone provide any insight on what parts might need to be replaced? Thanks in advance.

Could be a couple of things. My first guess would be the water pump. Could just be a hose. Or it may be a serious as a cracked head or blown head gasket. Do you get any smoke from your tail pipe while this is happening? Also check your oil! if your oil looks more like chocolate milk instead of maple syrup it could be a head problem.(not yours the motors.lol)

How high did the temperature gauge get? If it was pegged for any period of time, you are probably looking at (at a minimum) a blown head gasket. However, you may also have another issue that caused the coolant to leak out prior to it overheating.

Back