• Register Today It's free!

92 ford explorer engine

Alex7772011

Reaction score
City, State
Big island hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford exploer sport
So I got a 92 explorer xl ..The owner before me bypassed water pump and drove it like that for about 10 miles,and then the radiator blow up.
I bought the car from him.. I replaced water pump because it was leaking and radiotor.. After that the car was smoking and dumping out blue smoke.. I checked oil and it was milky.. Now I bought the whole gasket set, I changed head gaskets with brand new bolts. And the heads looked good when I checked it with straight edge.
And after changing the headgaskets car run good for like 2 days now it's smoking again and eating up antifreeze..and the oil is kind of mixed with antifreeze..
What should I do next?
Thanks in advance

While you had the heads off, you should have sent them to a machine shop to have them checked. Having a flat surface isn't even half the story. Being a 1992, it probably ruined the heads. If I were you and I wanted this vehicle to run right for a long time, get rid of those heads and buy new ones, the 93TM heads. Do a search on here and even right on Google, you'll see the piles of problems with the 1991 & 1992 heads.

Before you buy new heads, look the block over. It's not often the block has issues but just make sure before you dump that much money into heads, head bolts and another gasket set.

thanks for reply
in kona hawaii they charge 50$ a head just to look at it and 300$ a head just to shave it lol thats why i never did it

Understandable :) You can pretty much bet that they're toast and with $100 just to look at it, I would have put new heads on, without a doubt. I'm sure other members will chime in as to where to get new heads. There's some sellers on eBay that are good. I want to say they're $200-$300 a head with the valves and everything, drop-on ready. It's expensive but you're eliminating a major weak point that likely would have failed sooner or later.

Back