Here are some pictures of my D44 and 9" swap

36X12.5 TSL/SX
4.88 gears
ARB front
Spool rear
Front EB D44
Rear 69 F100
Swapping in a 1354 M t-case
Rear springs combo ranger/explorer leafs (ranger main explorer main and explorer second, no over load)
Front EB 3.5" VR James Duff (soon to be WH 3.5" VR)
78-79 bronco upper coil buckets (modified)
Superlift adjustable trac bar
Custom trac bar mount
Steering will be performance unlimited (tie rod over)
F250 shock mounts
And soon to have lots of fender cutting

Project Page

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I take it, the coils I bought from you won't work on a 78-79 bronco upper bucket?:p

Like I said, I got a great deal on a high pinion D44 front axle off of a 79 bronco. The bad thing is, those coils won't work unless I get some explorer coil buckets. I have some BII buckets, but they don't fit in there. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Your setup looks sweet. I just saved all those pics so I will have something to go by. I have a 75 EB D44 for sale if you know anyone who is interested!!!!! Plus some REALLY nice coils for 75$;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry did not know you wanted to use them in 78-79 buckets!!:( They will work but you would have to fab up some spring retainer. I had the 78-79 buckets and wanted to move the upper coil buckets foward some so I did the 78-79 bucket swap.

Are you going to cut down the full width?

Where was your source for the 78-79 buckets? I've searched a few boneyards out here for some but I didn't have any luck...oh, and what did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking...thanks,
Dave

At the time, I was going to use ranger/explorer buckets. I just pulled the fullsize D44 from the 79 Bronco yesterday. I got the whole axle for 50$ (lockout to lockout). Was just going to use the outers to switch to disc brakes, but I like the idea of high pinion better. I am going to keep it full width (more flex). I allready have a full width 9" to match.

I didn't pull the upper coil buckets, but I can go get them really easy. I'm sure I can fab up some sort of retainer fairly easy so I can use them.

It was my own fault. I got a little antsy with that front end sitting in my garage. No big deal. I can make them work.

thanks again

Originally posted by DB_1
Where was your source for the 78-79 buckets? I've searched a few boneyards out here for some but I didn't have any luck...oh, and what did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking...thanks,
Dave

There was a pick and pull here that had a stripped 78 bronco. I took the radius arms, radius arm brackets and buckets for $15!! I think that was a good deal!! The buckets bolt on so if you find some it should be real easy to get them off!! Good luck.

Cable.......if you need any help just ask and I will help in any way!! I would go and get those buckets from the 79 if you can.

Well I got it rolling!! Now I need shocks and a rear driveshaft!! New Pics

arent you gonna have to trim that cross-member for driveshaft clearance? cause it looks as though when your front end goes down the driveshaft wont have any room to go down and we be bent cause its being held up.

Ya I think I will have to change that. This was the first try at it. I have lots more square stock and I am sure I will have to redo it a couple of times before I get it right. I just needed to be able to drive it out of the garage for now!!:D

Looks clean man. What id you do with the rear end? What about the bashed up Body? Can we see some more pictures? That is excatly the kind of swap I want to do someday (except probably on my ranger not my ex) clean, functional and cheap. I think your truck looks mean. Lets see some more pictures... please!

First off thanks

About the body it was rolled when I got it!! I picked it up for $500!! It only had 80K on it!! I am not worried about the looks but one side looks clean while the other is all smashed.

I used a F100 9" in the rear with a leaf combo of ranger and explorer. I was surprised that it came out to level when I just slapped the leafs together and went with 3.5" VR coils up front. I am putting on the shocks tonight so I should have something up soon. Problem is that I am running out of web space for pictures. I might have to chop some of the "not needed" pictures of the build up. If there are any pictures/shots that you want to see let me know and I will take them and post them.

Nice work. With all the SAS lately I think I should make a seperate Explorer/ Ranger SAS registry so people can easily look up a bunch of different setups to determine what will work best for them.

Thanks. That might be a good idea. Have all the info in one spot.

Back