• Register Today It's free!

94 xlt with 2nd gen rear axle?

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
hey guys, decided i really need discs in the back. mines only got drums, which really suck going up and down hills with. if i remember correctly, the 2nd gen exs have the 8.8 inch solid rear axle with discs. is it possible to swap axles out with a 2nd gen? it seems like it would be pretty simple, just dropping out the old one, putting the new on it and reattaching the sway bar. probably have to find another way to fix the e- brake up to the discs. possible/ straightforward swap or not so much?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some people say you need to change the master cylinder too, to change the preasure on the rear --- Some say that is total bunk. (just my $.02)

Go for it, you wont regret it. I think it is one of the best upgrades I did on my '92, definitly helped with braking. I also have limited slip now, which also helps.
I just adjusted my master cylinder, took a little trial and error but works great. I can walk you through adjusting if need be.
Only bad thing is Ford no longer has those intermediate cables that are listed in the write up, at least not the 2dr version, not sure on 4dr. For now I have bought another standard cable and and hooked them together with cable locks. I have talked to a couple companys about making me an custom cable, they just need the measurement and a pic of the cable ends, $30 shipped.
Now I just gotta get off my lazy ass and get those pics and measurements.
Are you thinking of swapping the entire axle or just the brakes? If you do the entire axle you will not have to make any brakeline modifications, just as long as the brake hose is still good.

One thing. Do not follow those instructions regarding the push rod. I did when I put disks on my 9" and it prevented pressure from being released and my brakes dragged bad.

Back