2nd Gen Rear Quarter Tail Lamp Surround Patch Panel-Using 1st Gen Rear Quarter on 2nd Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen Rear Quarter Tail Lamp Surround Patch Panel-Using 1st Gen Rear Quarter on 2nd Gen Explorer

Hello all, ISO a patch panel I saw years ago but cant seem to locate now. My Drivers rear quarter is rusted thru on my 96, the notorious rust above the fuel door along with the usual Mid West rust. I was looking a few years ago and saw folks buying 1st gen rear quarters, and a special tail light surround patch that would "convert" the quarter to fit a 2nd gen tail lamp assembly.

LMC Truck no longer shows window down rear quarters for 1st gen any more, or second gen for that matter, but I have seen them at Classic 2 Current, and Summit, Raybuck, to name a few. They range from $178-to $280 not including shipping.

So has anyone ever seen these tail-lamp-assembly surround patch panels? Even if they are discontinued maybe I can still search around for them if i had a number or manufacturer. maybe I'm not using the right verbiage for google to hunt them down.

Thanks in advance

RearQuarterTailLampSurroundPatch.png

Must have been a beer dream!?

Going forward with a 1st gen rear quarter and I'll probably follow one of the other forum posts that describe the process of getting that curved bit in for my tail lamps.

Following because i need the passenger side quarter panel replaced on my X too

Consider fiberglass bedsides?

20231203_093239.jpg

Ended up getting a set of steel, window-down, quarters for a first gen. Windows pulled and rust cut out just for exploration. Now I'm looking for the appropriate panel bond. Ford used some kind of flexible foam sealant. What is this stuff? And where can I get it? I'm sure 3M makes some.

I would use some panel bond that I have laying around but its pretty ridged, much more ridged than the OEM foam stuff used to bond the fuel filler tunnel, that rail seen hanging there. and the floor. I'm guessing that because it's bonded directly to the exterior panel of the vehicle it needs to have some flexibility.

Update:
So I did some looking and I'm thinking 3M 08463 or just 3M 8463. Might be the stuff

Back