'95-'97 Aftermarket Deck / Harness/ Bypass thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95-'97 Aftermarket Deck / Harness/ Bypass thread

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Ok all, I've spent about an hour searching, then went through countless pages of threads. Some threads say this, some say that, none of them have complete and total info in one place, there always seems to be a "second guesser" post creating doubt in my mind. Please indulge me? :D

I want to do a green dash swap into my '95, I don't like the blue displays. This leaves me to change my head unit out, and being one of those people that prefers stock, I want to have a (at least mostly) green display. So, I tried the '98 Ranger deck, F87F-18C815-CA (shown below) it DID plug and play into the '95 Premium sound setup, and this one was out of an '01 Explorer, but was found mostly in '98 Rangers I think... (?)

Oct23_0001.jpg

(nevermind the message, it was the junk CD player acting up) when it worked, it sounded great with the extra internal amp... :thumbsup: Problem is, it was in a wreck, and it didn't play all the time, so it had to be returned, It almost ate my new Kid Rock CD until it decided to behave for 5 seconds and spit it out before I took the deck back to the boneyard. So, I'm looking aftermarket, since I can get a Pioneer DEH1900-MP for $95 locally, have all kinds of goodies, and some green lights to match! :thumbsup:

335159562DEH-1900MP_front_Med.jpg

So, now I need to get a Metra harness, and maybe bypass the amp. Here is where the fog settled- and the part numbers in searched threads came fast and furious, and the sometimes confusing dialogue left me, well... Confused. Maybe this can be one thread for the aftermarket deck swap into the externally amped X's from 1995-1997?

My plan: I don't have a subwoofer/JBL, I have Premium sound- the tape deck in-dash, and CD changer in the armrest. I only want to install an aftermarket deck.

Here are my questions, and a couple others that I thought it would be nice to have answered in one thread.

-Do I need Metra Part # 70-5514, 70-5600, or something else entirely?
-Is one of these the amp bypass kit- if not, what kit do I need to bypass?
-Is the bypass kit a harness that plugs in someplace behind the radio into an extra factory wired in harness as it did in my JBL-equipped Taurus?
-Do I need this thing: (and will it deem my upgraded wattage pointless)

h142C4FDK6-f.jpg

-If I bypass the amp, do I need to pull the side trim out of the back to access the amp, and cut and splice the signal/speaker wires around the amp?
-Can I hook the remote antenna wire from the new deck to the factory amp power wire, and run the aftermarket deck through the factory amp?
-Will this sound like crap?
-Will my only problems be the chance of blowing the factory amp if I don't bypass it?

-(Completely pointless question, but it ran through my mind before deciding aftermarket) Can I change the color of my factory head unit somehow by pulling the face off the deck and doing something to the bulbs or facing?

My shopping list will include:
-New deck
-Metra dash kit with 1/2 din compartment
-Metra Wiring harness kit # _______________
-Metra amp bypass kit # _______________ -or- Re-wire around amp?

This will help me out a lot, and hopefully help some other '95-'97 owners as well... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump? Anyone?

Currently looking at a radio swap this end also mine is a 95 EB with the JBL system I emailed Crutchfield (Canadian store) and after a few questions from them they came up with a radio which I am currently Looking at Plus if you buy from them they give you all the accessories you need to install it. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rick- the radio I am looking at is below the threshold at Crutchfield for the free stuff package, and I can get everything cheaper locally, and the store is physically right there- I've not had issue with Crutchfield, but I'd rather have the store right there for this kind of stuff if a problem comes up...

Still trying to figure out the conflicting advice on the harnesses and bypass info too...

The radio they quoted me was a Kenwood KDC-MP2035 160canadian which i dont think ia bad deal considering they freebies they are throwing in

Nope- good number. The receiver I want is the Pioneer shown in my thread- well below the $129 required to get the free stuff here... And I prefer the color scheme, so it's pretty much the only one I'm looking at right now- especially for under $100- smokin' deal for a great deck...

Joe Dirt, PM me to remind me to look for instructions for the bypass harness that I have...

Back