95 Exp. Front Wheel Bearing Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Exp. Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

AustinTX

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
I recently tried to replace brake rotors on my explorer. After repacking the bearings I have been experiencing a grinding sound when breaking. I have tried losening tightening and everything between to eliminate the sound. I took special care to get the bearings seated and greased properly. Is there some trick that I am missing? Has anyone else experienced the problem? Potential solutions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how did you repack the front bearings on a 95?! they are a sealed unit and not repackable.....

or is it a 4x2?

4*2

It is a 4X2. The bearing is new, but grease packed

ah... ok.... anyways... still a grinding sound.... is it a bearing sound or brakes? many times we did brakes where i used to work and the customers wanted cheap pads... the pads were what gave them a grinding noise... not the bearigns

Yup...not the pads

After I did the repair and took it on the test drive worked fine for the first 5-10 stops. As I was returning the grinding sound started and I have not been able to get rid of it since. I wish it were the pads (or even warped rotors for that matter, but not so luck!).

You torqued it properly? tighten, loosen, tighten? Might be some crap got inside the grease?

most problems with people doing their own bearings, is they over tighten.

-Drew

Torqued to spec.

Torquing is the most likley problem that I can think of but I have played with it so much tighten, loosen, and then tighteded that I feel like I have tried everything in between. I suppose I should get out the torque wrench, find the specifications, and then follow them. Thanks

are the calipers on correctly.???

I'm pretty sure you overtightened them, if you didn't use a torque wrench. heh

Back