Front wheel bearing replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel bearing replacement

@Skip Towne @CDW6212R

Be aware the cap has two sealing surfaces. The spring-loaded one seals to 16 psi (or whatever rating cap is), the large rubber ring on the very underside of the cap must seal on TOP of the radiator neck, in order to seal the vacuum created as the coolant in the shut off engine shrinks as it cools, that vacuum pulls the coolant that left the radiator as it expanded, back into the cooling system out of the overflow bottle.

Any nicks or imperfections on the top of the radiator neck can cause loss of that vacuum, resulting in outside AIR being drawn back into the engine. Found often on these new-fangled plastic tanks: the filler neck can develop tiny cracks, hard to see. imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen someone "bump" out the races with an air chisel instead of a hammer and chisel. Just be careful or one could take out a chunk of cast iron that the hub/rotor is made of. Of course install the new races by hand using a piece of pipe or a socket the appropriate diameter to tap the new race in.

I've wondered if I should use the race that comes with the new bearings or the new race that comes in the rotor but have done it both ways. We hope the various manufacturerers of these new parts use the same specs. LoL!

Beware of O'Reilly's loaner tool terms, they only allow returns for refund within 48 hours (last time I checked), opposed to 30 days or more from AZ & AA.

O'Reilly's used to show this on their website but I couldn't find this info there now... very shady, IMO, like a ploy to stick people with overpriced rental tool purchase.

Unless they've changed something this had never been the case in the past. I often borrow tools from my local OR's because the quality of their loaner tools is much better. Next time I borrow a tool I'll be sure to ask.

Unless they've changed something this had never been the case in the past. I often borrow tools from my local OR's because the quality of their loaner tools is much better. Next time I borrow a tool I'll be sure to ask.

Here's a forum topic where someone came across this in 2003:
Bad tool rental policy @ Oreillys auto parts

Again in 2010:
I now know why O'reilly is always dead - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Here is google's cache of the statement on O'Reilly's site in 2011, reads "tools are loaned for 48 hours":
Loaner Tool Program

I'm fairly sure I also saw this on O'Reilly's site personally when I did my ball joints this past Spring '18 and was looking to get a loaner bj press kit, because I was unaware of it before then, never had a cause to go to O'Reillys.

Anyway what I saw on their site this Spring was more direct and clearly spelled out that you owned it if it isn't returned within 48 hours, but I can't find that page now so they probably pulled it off their site.

I very rarely shop at OR's. I don't like the way the company is run or how they treat their workers, but I have borrowed many tools since 2010 and never had a problem in returning them. I can't say how long I've kept them though. I probably have never kept the tools longer than 24 hours or so, I use them and return them by the next day in most cases. I'll be careful in the future.

Our town has an AutoZone, a NAPA, a Advance and an O'Reilly and I agree that the OR's is always empty. I honestly don't know how they stay open.

I knew about that policy last Spring and asked how they work that. They said it's a store by store decision, some apply that two day rule, and others don't. I typically take a week or two to get a tool back, they have been as good to me as other stores. But it's good to be aware of the policy, and ask about it.

I was once told, "keep it as long as you like, your deposit has just paid for the tool. Keep it forever if you want". I was never told that I had to return it w/in 48 hours. OR's does allow individual stores to make their own rules. Ours does not do ODB II scans. The reason is that people take the scan results at face value, buy an expensive part and then get mad when they can't return it and/or get their core back because it's already been sent back.

I Believe it all comes down to who is behind the counter. I borrowed the ball joint tool last summer form O'Reilly's and was told to just bring the tool back whenever and I would get my deposit back. If someone wants to be a A-hole about it, and keep your money, I'm sure they will whip out the " 48 hour return policy " card.

I Believe it all comes down to who is behind the counter. I borrowed the ball joint tool last summer form O'Reilly's and was told to just bring the tool back whenever and I would get my deposit back. If someone wants to be a A-hole about it, and keep your money, I'm sure they will whip out the " 48 hour return policy " card.

If you ever don't like anything about your experience at OR's just complain to the regional manager or corporate. They bend over backwards for their customers, which is fine except to the point where they'll fire the employee even if the customer is clearly at fault or wrong. OR's regional managers steal from their employees by reducing their hours worked so they don't have to pay overtime. There was a class-action lawsuit against OR's for doing this a few years ago. They're a horrible company to work for, they pay their employees as little as possible and treat them like dirt. A high school kid with zero automotive experience will be paid the same as an SAE certified 20-year auto mechanic. Either could go work for Walmart and be paid $3-$4 more per hour. Generally, I refuse to shop there for these reasons. Every time I go in there to rent a tool there's a whole new crew behind the counter (huge employee turn-over).

I prefer going to Autozone, because the last time I went to return a tool at Advance Auto Parts, I'd forgotten my wallet and was reminded that they need the credit card I'd used to charge it. Autozone doesn't, just looks it up and credits the account.

Granted Autozone isn't perfect, just last night I went there to exchange my hood struts under lifetime warranty (for the umpteenth time) and they needed to scan my driver's license to make the system accept it. Maybe it was because those struts no longer have a lifetime warranty (if bought new today) but they did when I bought them.

If you ever don't like anything about your experience at OR's just complain to the regional manager or corporate. They bend over backwards for their customers, which is fine except to the point where they'll fire the employee even if the customer is clearly at fault or wrong. OR's regional managers steal from their employees by reducing their hours worked so they don't have to pay overtime. There was a class-action lawsuit against OR's for doing this a few years ago. They're a horrible company to work for, they pay their employees as little as possible and treat them like dirt. A high school kid with zero automotive experience will be paid the same as an SAE certified 20-year auto mechanic. Either could go work for Walmart and be paid $3-$4 more per hour. Generally, I refuse to shop there for these reasons. Every time I go in there to rent a tool there's a whole new crew behind the counter (huge employee turn-over).

Thanks for that history of OR. I like to shop at places that treat people right, customers and employees. Others I don't do business with if I can help it.

Back