• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0L Exhaust bolts

warrenoliver

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L
Just priced the exhaust bolts and studs for the passenger exhaust manifold. they want $12-15.00 each! :eek: I bought the Dorman 674-357 exhaust manifold and am waiting for delivery.

Can I buy metric bolts from Ace hardware to replace these or are they special? If I buy common bolts, should they be grade 8 bolts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Summit has the ARP cheaper.

In my upper rebuild, which included new exhaust manifolds, I used bolts (with flat washers) from Home Depot, I think they were grade 8 they were about $2-3 each, I think they were zinc coated. Two lengths for the smaller reach at different points on the manifold...5k later no problems at all

Just remember to re-torque them after getting the engine up to operating temp and then cooling it down, I did this 3 times over 2 weeks to ensure that initial expansion and contraction would not effect the torque.

I believe the manifold should come with the bolts already in it.

TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) sells them by the pound. You can get 16 bolts (enough to repl. both sides) for about $3-4.00.

Back