• Register Today It's free!

96 Aftermarket radio run around

jar2187

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB, 96 limited
I want to install my pioneer deck into my 96 limited. I went to best buy to get the wiring harness and the guy tells me that it will cost me $60 because I have to run new wire from the harness that bypasses the factory amp to the aftermarket head unit. This guy proceeded to tell me that I didnt really know what I was doing and to have him do it for $200! yea right, I will not pay to have someone install my radio when I can do it myself. He said that they way he told me how to do it was the only way to do it. So I left and went to a local custom audio shop, the guy there gave me a wiring harness, but it doesnt fit the connector under the dash, he also said that he doesnt have the factory amp bypass harness. Does anyone know the name of the harnesses I need or their product numbers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good lord people. Best Buy, don't go there!!! Circuit City has the amp bypass harness and should have the stock radio harness. Crutchfield has both. You could just cut your factory harness and wire it in that way.

The last time I went to circuit city's road shop the guy that worked there was a jerk to me. He was extremely rude about answering a few questions I had.

pull your radio and find out which connector you have. In 96, likely it was called a M100 unless you have the premium audio system with a separate amp in which case it is a P100.

check here: http://oem-auto-accessory.com/photo_page.html for pics to compare once you pull the radio.

And you're right, $200 is nuts. Even Best Buy only charges $50, but even at that price I did it myself. (Most "pro" installation shops only use crimp connectors, and the best audio and least hassles are from soldered connections).

Actually, in a '96 Limited, it is most likely the truck will have a "LUX" radio with a JBL Audio System and the infamous "distributed architechture". The guts of the radio, including the tuner, are in the RCU located in the back qtr on the SW housing.

We never built a Limited with an M100 radio - it was not an available option.

cobrajeff

Cobrajeff is right. I missed that it was a limited...thx for the catch!

Back