96 - can't get out of the back seat! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 - can't get out of the back seat!

nragains

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
We just purchased a nice 96 Limited as a first vehicle for our son. Neither back seat door will open from the inside. We thought it was a child safety latch issue, but now am thinking maybe it's a door handle issue. The black "levers" that are supposed to work the child locks move up and down, but the inside door handles still don't do anything. They just pull out and spring back. Neither the automatic or manual door locks make any difference. Outside handles work fine. We test drove a 97 and it was the same way (except it was not in great condition and the handles acutally flopped loosely on it.) Any insight?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replace the handles. It happens quite often. I've had to change my rears out several times. A little tab on the actual lever breaks off. Any 91-01 handles will work, but I imagine the later years would be in better shape.

The fix isn't that difficult. Just pop the door panel off and there are two screws holding the handle in. It's cake.

Sometimes as they get older and less lubricated the latch just won't pop but nothing is broken. If you just pull the handle it won't pop the latch but if you pull the handle and push on the door it will open. That's what mine does.

Thanks, finally got back to this; ordered the handles online and my husband and son put them on this weekend without much trouble!

welcome and did u get ur problem fixed

Back