• Register Today It's free!

Can't get out of driver's door!

Jester1994

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Sport
Help! Hey guys, I was just trying to get out of my X and I couldn't get out from teh inside, when I tried to open the door, I think something inside came apart or detached. The lock sometimes had trouble going up all of the way and now the inside handle does not do anything. the outside one still works, so that is how I finally got out after I got the lock to come up all of the way. Any ideas of what it could be? (the lock and the inside door handle and how to fix it)

Also, my back two door locks sometimes only come up half way when I unlock them. So I have to go out, lift up the outside handle, lock the door again, unlock it then it opens fine. Weird, huh? And the child locks are not engaged. All of these things only happen about 30% of the time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Their is a small plastic gear like piece in the door that is a poorly designed flaw in the door design. I have the same issue with one of my doors. If you remove the panel it's quite easy to fix although I haven't gone there yet..

Sid

Originally posted by Jester1994
Help! Hey guys, I was just trying to get out of my X and I couldn't get out from teh inside, when I tried to open the door, I think something inside came apart or detached. The lock sometimes had trouble going up all of the way and now the inside handle does not do anything. the outside one still works, so that is how I finally got out after I got the lock to come up all of the way. Any ideas of what it could be? (the lock and the inside door handle and how to fix it)

Also, my back two door locks sometimes only come up half way when I unlock them. So I have to go out, lift up the outside handle, lock the door again, unlock it then it opens fine. Weird, huh? And the child locks are not engaged. All of these things only happen about 30% of the time!

If it is the handles.. I replaced two of mine for $4 each from my local yard.

I jsut want to clarify. The small plastic gear would be the piece that is making the inside door handle of the drivers side not to work? Or the locking mechanism in teh back doors?

My major concern is obviosuly to get my drivers door working, which I hop eis an esasy fix. Teh second concern is why the rear door sometimes don't unlock all of the way and you can't open them right away without tugging on the outside door handle.

The small plastic gear has to do with the door not opening from the inside but working from outside the vehicle.

Originally posted by Jester1994
I jsut want to clarify. The small plastic gear would be the piece that is making the inside door handle of the drivers side not to work? Or the locking mechanism in teh back doors?

Back