GEEZUS I can't get out the drivers door. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GEEZUS I can't get out the drivers door.

gundrum

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Well it finally quit. 98 sport. Can't unlock or lock it and cannot open it from the inside. Mercifully it is unlocked. I tinkered with it a bit and it seems that the door latch mechanism is jammed somehow. I have the door skin off and cant really see much of anything. How tough and expensive is it to change the latch.....and more importantly will that fix it.

Looking at it am I gonna have to remove the window track to get it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you open the door? If you have the door panel off it chouse be just about clear as day, with the window up.

yes the door is open skin is off and window is up. the mechanism is right up agains the interior side of the door that is making it tough.

Another note.....just before it stopped entirely the mechanism got really spongy.

It's usually the gear part of the inside door handle that fails but I'm not sure what that would have to do with the lock/unlock function. Make sure all the linkage is properly connected. Some of the linkage connects with little plastic snap connectors that sometimes fail or become undone. A dental mirror (available in any auto parts store) and a flashlight may help to identify the problem.

Lee

well got the guts out......not to bad but had to take the window track out. While doing this I discovered a broken spring in the bottom of the door. hmmm you think that was it.

It sure was the whole latch assemble was 33 bucks with tax. the whole mess took bout 2 hours. including the trip to the dealer. He even had it in stock.

Not sure if this helps, but I found a broken part of a spring in the bottom of my door and traced it to the outside door handle. There are 2 light gauge springs on each side of outer door handle that are known to break... but you should only find the small broken-off piece on the bottom of the door. The remainder of the spring coil should still be connected (but flopping around on the axis it sits on) in the guts of the outer door handle. The telltale sign of this is a loose outer door handle (operating with only one spring when the other breaks).

The outer door handle is replaceable (or repairable depending on which way you want to go) but you have to drill out the rivets and remove the handle. Check out this thread if you think it will help:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51732

Lee

thx lee it was the latch assemble and like I said it was only 33 buck.

:confused: So... the latch assembly was the souce of the broken spring you found??? :confused:

I had the exact same problem. Difference is my latch was $50!!! This was about a year ago too. Kinda piss's me off.

What's worst is that changing that latch was a complete PITA.

:D Somebody get him some Gatorade and a port-o-potty!!!

I currently have the same problem. Currently, my door is ripped apart. My friend and I have found the problem somewhat. There's a metal rod that turns the piece to which the key is inserted from the outside. We noticed that rod is loose, so it won't turn latch. We can't quite see down to the bottom of the rod, but we can feel it's loose. Any help?

It's been a while but I think the rod you speaking about connects into a plastic snap connector. These connectors are famous for either coming apart of failing. A dental type mirror may help you see what I'm talking about. I seem to remember snapping the rod into the connector then folding over the flap on the connector to lock it together. I believe I was able to to do this by feel because you can see what you're doing.

Back