96 explorer backfiring, sputtering, running like crap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer backfiring, sputtering, running like crap

Reaction score
City, State
Fallon, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0
I'm having issues with my motor, I have replaced everything and I'm still getting the codes. I've replaced both coil pack, both upstream o2 sensors, iat sensor, looked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the maf and replaced the ecm, and the codes are still there.
What am I missing?

The codes:
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1 Circuit High
P0350 - Ignition Coil Primary/Secondary Circuit
P1131 - Lack Of HO2S Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you replaced the IAT and still have a IAT circuit code it is time to start checking wires and fuses
Same goes for coil pack, these are circuit failure codes, point to a problem with the wiring, power feeds or grounds heading to the coil pack, IAT and 02 sensor.... did any wires get pinched? cut? erroded?
How are your battery terminals and cables?

Any chance the tps can be causing these codes? Will the tps throw a code in a 96?

Did you check the intake manifold gaskets?
i looked for vacuum leaks i would think if the gasket was sucking air i should have noticed

If you replaced the IAT and still have a IAT circuit code it is time to start checking wires and fuses
Same goes for coil pack, these are circuit failure codes, point to a problem with the wiring, power feeds or grounds heading to the coil pack, IAT and 02 sensor.... did any wires get pinched? cut? erroded?
How are your battery terminals and cables?
the crazy part is i cleaned the plugs for the coilpacks and it ran like a champ all day, i drove a good half tank of fuel through it (32 gallon fuel cell), it sat for 3 days and the issue comes back. i will definitely start chasing wires, first im going to go buy a multi meter :)

TPS wire read out
Black wires has .9 ohm = good
orange wire has 4.99v = good
green wire when cycled has 1.3v and transitions good until about 3/4 throttle, then it goes to zero when you get past that spot it picks up voltage again and maxes out at 4.99v

leads me to believe the tps is bad, but im not sure if that is the cause of my problem or not

Tps is indeed bad

yep no dead spots allowed

i replaced the TPS, but its still doing the sputtering/backfiring.
i am currently going through the engine harness to make sure there arent any broken or suspect wires. i did find one broken wire but not sure if its whats causing the issue, its the only wire in the harness that does not have a sheathing, but it was cut so i repaired it. there is a red w'white stripe on the bank 2 side that had a butt connector on it and was cut off, no idea where it goes or where it went, cant find any other wires that are cut

is the 350 code still present?
That coil pack may be bad

im completely out of ideas, pulled the plug for the MAF and it seemed to idle better, so i gave a couple revs. it seemed to rev alot better, but it did backfire once, which is a helluva lot better than it was doing, so i bought a new maf...and its still doing the same thing, with the same codes.

so to date i have replaced:
PCM
TPS
MAF
IAT
plugs
plug wires
o2 sensors
coil packs with MSD (might have received a bad new coil pack, its worth checking out)
vacuum line to EGR

and have checked:
no vacuum leaks to be found
found a broken wire in the engine harness and repaired it
checked and cleaned every ground i could find
Spout (didnt really know how to check it other than making sure its plugged in all the way) which it could be a timing advance problem, but no idea how to check it

on the bright side the " P1131 - Lack Of HO2S Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean" code hasn't came back....yet.

can anyone think of anything i might be overlooking? im to the point of pulling the motor and swapping in an ecoboost

Have you checked fuel rail pressure? It is not mentioned above
Backfiring through intake indicates a lean condition

Suspects:
reman pcm
coil pack (due to 350 code)
wiring between them

coil packs can go bad immediately if hooked up to faulty ignition or power system

Have you checked fuel rail pressure? It is not mentioned above
Backfiring through intake indicates a lean condition

Suspects:
reman pcm
coil pack (due to 350 code)
wiring between them

coil packs can go bad immediately if hooked up to faulty ignition or power system

35psi at the rail, 70psi before the filter

But I think I finally figured it out, the wiring to the spout, when I pull on the spout harness the it idles erratic and sputters/backfires, if I push on it and wedge it the idle smooths out and I can rev it to redline without any sputtering or back fires, I took it out for a spin and it ran like a champ.
So I'm gonna pull the harness again and re route the spout so it's not under the intake and fix/replace the wiring to it

Welp your yearly maintenance is done lol

Back