'96 Explorer Lifespan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 Explorer Lifespan?

Shesweird

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 1996 Explorer, and the ad on craigslist reads this:

1996 FORD Explorer xlt loaded auto v6 4.0 4x4 4 doors pw pl cd player

engine great drives awesome no problems with engine at all no smoke or over heating no leaks strong motor

trany shifts perfect very smooth drives very good ready to go right now needs driver

It has about 175k miles on it, and I'm wondering if this would be a good buy for around $1500, and if I could get some solid years out of it.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check it over really well, but I wouldn't be scared of it...Can't really go wrong for $1500, I don't think. I picked up my '97 last year with 170k on it, and other than routine maintenance, I haven't had many problems....

I have 175,000 on my 2000 and it runs great,had the tranny flushed and a U joint fixed.:D

I agree- I bought my last Ex with 177k on it, and drove it for 2+ years as a daily driver, and spent money on really creature comforts aside from tires, shocks, battery, and some sensors.

Where is the truck? Pics? Just curious about rust...

got 175,000 on my 4x4 sport ohv 4.0 and it runs and drives perfect.

My 96' has well over 200K on it. Looks and drive like it has 50K. Starting to have routine things go out like the A/C low pressure switch, fuel pump, and radiator, got a minor oil leak, but way cheaper than a car note. Had been talking to the wife about replacing it with an Aviator but the Explorer looks, drives so good and is so dependable there's no reason. :thumbsup:

If its not rusted too bad and routine maintenance has been kept up then it should be fine to buy and last you awhile. My 96 had 124k on it when we got it 2yrs ago and not at 171k it still runs great just normal replacement stuff (brakes, tires, shocks) motor and trans still operate smoothly and expect it to last a lot longer.

It all depends how well it was maintained, I got my '96 as a lease trade in with 75k miles on it. I have done all the maintenence on it myself and it currently has 241k on it.

the only major things I have had to replace is : fuel pump, torque converter, and front hubs.

It still runs great and I am hoping for 300k before I have to start looking for another '96

my mom had a 96 ohv and it had 376,000km when she got rid of it. Other then a tranny, rack, ball joints it still runs to this day. And i bought my 98 limited sohc with 220,000km and has 229 now still runs excellent

like any machine, as long as parts are available for it, it will last forever. and if well maintained, it will last a long time between major repairs (trans, engine, etc).

seriously, why do people always ask this question of how long cars last? cars get junked because they are run into a state of cosmetic disrepair so great that nobody wants them anymore, then they use the first excuse to junk it (i've seen cars go go the JY because of a flat tire before)

It all depends how well it was maintained, I got my '96 as a lease trade in with 75k miles on it. I have done all the maintenence on it myself and it currently has 241k on it.

the only major things I have had to replace is : fuel pump, torque converter, and front hubs.

It still runs great and I am hoping for 300k before I have to start looking for another '96

^^^ so wait, when it rolls over to 300k, you're planning on replacing it with another equally old vehicle, which you dont know the repair and maintenance history on? see this doesn't make sense to me. i'd keep the one that's proven reliable, and that you've been able to maintain properly (assuming you do that sort of thing)

it was my moms not mine. and we didnt care the body was shot. She bought a 5.0v8awd for 3500. and i bought mine recently knowing what was done to it for 1000bucks

^^^ so wait, when it rolls over to 300k, you're planning on replacing it with another equally old vehicle, which you dont know the repair and maintenance history on? see this doesn't make sense to me. i'd keep the one that's proven reliable, and that you've been able to maintain properly (assuming you do that sort of thing)

good call

Got the same engine as what you are looking at on my '97. Bought it brand new. I babied the engine and tranny until the engine gave at 85,000 miles. It cost me over $5K to get it running again with a new remanufactured engine. Now I beat the **** out of it. I drive it like I stole it. Still running strong after 30,000 miles. :dunno:

I bought a used 1994 with 174k and it it now has over 300k miles on the original engine and tranny.

Other than normal maintainence, I have never had a problem I couldn't fix.

Take it to a mechanic before you buy anything!

Back