1996 Explorer xlt

mustang al

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane Valley, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ranger 4x4
Hey,
I am looking at a loaded 1996 explorer, full time 4x4, 4 wheel disks, leather, 5.0 auto. It has 230 k miles and a bad motor. I have a 90 mustang GT 5.0 I can put in it. I have heard that the explorers have terrible trany problems. This explorer has mainly has freeway miles and the owner has not had any tranny problems. I can get it pretty cheap and it is in really good condition inside and out. I'm worried about buying something that will start giving me expensive problems after I get it. Your thoughts please.

Thanks, Al

Any time you buy anything preowned, there is a chance for problems. What does the trans fluid look like? I would NOT recommend a complete trans fluid change, but do it in stages. Otherwise?????

actually the 5.0 transmissions are pretty reliable. the v6's less so, but i wouldn't categorize either as terrible. now, the 2002 Explorers had "terrible" transmission problems. i agree with deweyville. replace the filter and the 5 or so qts than will drain out when you do. drive it for awhile (3,000 miles or so) then change the filter and fluid again. consider adding a B&M drain plug (around $7-$8) to the trans pan to make life easier going forward, and be sure to use Mercon V fluid.

Back