96 explorer shifts out of gear without brake down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer shifts out of gear without brake down

Walnut777

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I just wrestled this beast of a heater core on my 96 explorer. When I removed the dash I had to pop the tranny linkage off of the shifter on the steering column. Well I have got the dash half way bolted back up to check out everyting before putting in the rest of the bolts and screws. I noticed now that I can pull the shift lever and into any gear from park without having the brake pedal pressed down. It's shifting in and out of gears b/c I am able to roll it and it won't move when it's in park. I was wondering what did I do wrong? Why is it shifting out of gear and I'm not even holding the brake down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm somewhat unclear of the problem but I'll take a shot:

With the transmission in Park, turn the key to the ON position but dont crank the engine, get out, and see if the brake lights are on -- if they are, there is a short in the brake switch or its connecting wires.

What I mean is. Since I reinstalled my dash and steering column my explorer will shift out of park without having the brake pedal pressed down.

Got it -- yeah check the brake lights to see if they are permanently on.

hmm
Today as I moved mine out of the garage I noticed this also. No brake light with key on. I can stand outside the truck and shift out of park.
ANNND
I also changed my heater core last winter. Whatever it is, we broke the same thing I would guess:confused:

I'll take a closer look , all I can remember was a 2 wire connector I could find no plug for.At the time I wrote it off, as there are several unused plugs in various locations throughout my truck.
I'll get a picture of it.
Bump this to remind me if you don't hear back.

Problem solved. I don't know how, but it's solved. I reconnected the battery, cranked her up let run a few minutes, turned her back off and now it doesn't do it anymore.

Back