• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer sport 4x4

unfortunate_ex

Reaction score
City, State
Shamokin PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport 4x4
The explorer was in an accident before and was fixed at the local votech about a year ago. I drove it everyday to work and for pleasure it was a great ride and got decent gas milage... but lately i have been having issues with it... I just replaced the battery but it still wont start... starter? I need to figure this out... i am basically broke and fallen on hard times... i need advice? or reallllyyy cheap help if anyone lives near Shamokin PA or if anyone wants to maybe trade or something

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

When you turn the key two clicks does the radio and interior lights come on? Do you hear any clicking when you try to start the engine? Does the engine turn over or "crank" when you turn the key?

yes everything gets power and turns on. I hear only clicks and a winding/humming sound... It does not crank

Turn the key to on without cranking the engine and listen if you can hear a whining sound from the rear of the truck.. If you don't hear a whine sound, it could be the fuel pump or relay. Also there is a fuel interrupt switch on the passenger side firewall of the truck under the glove compartment near where your feet would be. Check that to see if its been tripped.

I'm guessing that the humming noise is the sound of the starter motor spinning, but the Bendix is stuck and wont engage the stater gear to the flywheel. Try getting under the truck with a hammer, and tap on the starter motor close to where it meets the bell housing.

I tried that and found a small red wire with a plastic clip on the end that came off of a group of large red wires that was not attached and after feeling around for a while i found where it went and plugged it in but still no change

Blee1099
I do hear the noise but i am not sure where it is coming from... and I am not sure what to look for at all on the passenger side there is way tooo much going on down there with wires and things

Welcome to this forum! Connect a test light to where the wire goes to the starter. Your starter relay or ignition switch could be bad. Did you check all of the fuses? It's possible that the starter or relay might be bad.

I dont know too much about that kind of stuff... the only things i've checked are the battery and the alternator... thanks for the advice, but i think I might just have to get some better help... all of my mechanic friends are saying wiring

if your tryin to save some money i would check the fuses it takes like 5mins and could save you a lot of trouble and $$. i poped my radio fuse and switched it with a different fuse wile the car was running and after i turned it off, it had the same prob as you until i realised what i did, i think it was fuse 16?

so a friend of mine finally got around to looking at it and it was that stupid red wire ... and I guess it just wont stop falling off Idk I messed with it and thought I plugged it in the other day but I guess there was more to it

haha yeah i agree i realy can afford this explorer anymore... if its not one thing its something else... now I just gotta make sure that the stupid thing stays attached

haha yeah i agree i realy can afford this explorer anymore... if its not one thing its something else... now I just gotta make sure that the stupid thing stays attached

yea i agree between altinator, water pump, door latch, and the gas its a little expensive, but its a BEAST.

When ever i think about gettin rid f it i just think about winter with a foot of snow on the ground, cant wait. that ***** fun

btw: just duct tape it in, not sure where it is under the truck, but duct tape fixes everything

yeah I agree duct tapes my hero I can make anything with it, but as i found out the red wire is tricky... yeah i love not having to shovel out and i feel so much safer in it in winter... plus you cant beet blaring party like a rock star and doing doughnuts in the walmart parking lot :) but I had an accident in it last year and am kinda scared of these sharp mt turns now... just glad i didnt roll it... I wish I could figure out how to post pics of her

i would think it would be hard to roll over a Sport but ikd maby it would be easier, i think you you GO ADVANCED, then click the PAPER CLIP, Then BROWSE

Whered u get a wood grain dash (trim around radio/heat/vent)from? never see that

I took everything out and painted it ... not wood grain though...Im a girl I made everything red with stars... I have a red and black theme going on... I need rims and tires and I will be extremely happy with the way she looks

oh looked a little wood grainish (little pic), but i see the star

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back