• Register Today It's free!

96 explr sport tcase

dogbis

Reaction score
City, State
south bend,in
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 sport
Hi everyone,I'm new here and am hopeing someone can help me out.I'm haveing transfer case issues(96 explr sport 4.0 4405 tcase f57a-ca). Problem is ratcheting noise on acceleration fwd. and rev. front wheels not turning. I jacked up one front wheel while in 4wd truck off I could turn the wheel felt like it was trying to catch then would let go. maybe chain or could the tcc do this? Have not done the brown wire mod. yet but like the idea just got the truck. I figure the tcase is shot but before rebuilding or buying a junkyard peice I want to explore all options. Also is the vss on the tcase or rear axel on this? Thanks guys lots of good info. smart bunch! thanks dogbis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty much need a case.the speedo is in the case on this on I think.

Pull the TC off and pull apart. The 4405 TC is the second weak point for allot of problems but you will find it is near to complete failure. Especially the shift fork and clutch pack for control trac systems.

Which tire did you jack up? You do have a vacuum disconnect in the front diff. That may have failed.

See if the front driveshaft is turning in 4x.

passanger side front. drive shaft does turn

Thats the side with the vacuum disconnect. Its obviously not going to work with the engine off and no vacuum.

check in this order:
vacuum disco
front d shaft
then 4405 t case

WE have a 97 with a similar issue, replaced the CV axles, issue still there
checked front d shaft = its fine (surpisingly!)
did the brown wire mod = problem gone now that we have 2wd no AWD

I am planning to a 1354 manual conversion, 2wd gem module, basically DITCH the crappy 4405 AWD t case

drive shaft is turning. disco. seems fine. Front drive shaft does not feel sloppy. I have also noticed vibration above 40 mph. Could this be caused by the t-case?

yes but just because the d shaft looks okay, it means nothing it needs to be removed, then drive it and see if your vibration is there

Yes the vibration could be the t case
it could also be alot of other things, but if your having ratcheting noises in AWD, most likely t case

I found paper work from the previous owner seems he ran 2 different size tires front 2 back. I'm figureing its the t-case

ouch
brown wire mod may buy time, its oh so worth it!

goes fine in 2 wheel its got a trac-lok rear diff. w/3.73 gears. Can't wait to see what it will do in 4-auto and 4lo. Will any b/w 4405 t-case work in this?

ouch
brown wire mod may buy time, its oh so worth it!

Hes got 2WD stock in a 96.

Will any b/w 4405 t-case work in this?

No. You need a 95 or 96. A 97 might work, I forget the year things changed. The newer ones don't have the provision for the speedo gear you need and they have a different front output.

Back