• Register Today It's free!

96 V8 Muffler Size

LLSTRIKES96

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I was wondering if anyone knew the size of pipe that feeds into the muffler on a stock 96 V8. I am looking to but a Flowmaster 50 SUV Series single in and dual out and I'm curious on the dimensions. Has anyone does this with a different brand? Did you like the results?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tail pipe is 2 1/4" dia.

Ok, I figured out that on a V8 96 it has dual 2" inlet do you think it'd be a big deal for a exhaust shop to convert that to a 2.25" inlet to fit a specific muffler?

No, it wont be a big deal. They'll just slap on a reducer. But you really dont want to choke it down more than it is already, do you? Have you thought of dual mufflers, stacked side by side? This is what I want to do with mine. I dont know if it's possible though.

There is someone on this board who hates his single flowmaster muffler because of the drone. Try a search on this or the sport truck board.

I think the exhaust on a V8 is 2.25" dual back to the muffler. I havn't measured but I have read several other posts that say 2.25". If Ford ran dual 2.25" back to the muffler it may be best to run dual 2.25" or 3" the rest of the way. 2.5" sounds too small but 3" sounds a little too big for a stock motor. Anybody else have any hard facts on this?

Go with the dual in single out Flowmaster series 50. I just put one in mine 2 weeks ago and have been very pleased.It's a tight fix but the 3" sounds great.

Hey, does the dual in single out 50 series drone? I don't car about accelerating noise but can you hear it on the highway over the tire/wind noise? I know sound is all relative but I don't want anything too loud as my neighbors are pretty quiet folk. Did you notice any performance/mileage gains or does it just sound better? Thanks.

It does drone some but not much. At hwy speeds if you turn the radio up to about 10(stock jbl) you can barely hear it. That is unless you are hard on the pedal. Around town it isn't any louder than a mustang.

smaller dual mufflers will give you a lower more throaty sound.

Back