Mufflers and Cat Backs Whats for Me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mufflers and Cat Backs Whats for Me?

outrun84

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Connecticut and Castleton, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone, I have a 97 4dr Explorer with the SOHC 40.L. Now that I have the money, i would like to put on a catback system or a new muffler. I looked into flowmaster and have liked what i have seen. My current muffler has dual inlets and a single outlet. When i looked up which flowmaster muffler to buy, the search came up with the 70 Series Big Block muffler. Has anyone put this muffler on their explorer before and do they like the results? I know the standard muffler that is installed on suv's is the 50 series but i dont think that they recommend any for me considering that i have the dual inlet muffler system. I am not held down to flowmaster either but i do like their sound. Any suggestions???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the 70 is the only dual inlet. If it was dual outlet you would've had many more choices. I like the Flowmaster sound, and if it's for a big block, it's gonna sound real good.

Any good mufler shop can bend up what every you need. Just drive up to one and have them install a good Flowmaster. I know I hear lots of good things on about them.

70 Series

I guess i will ago with a flowmaster muffler. I am guessing that it will be the Flowmaster 70 Series (Big Block II) muffler. It has dual 2.25 input and single 3.00in out. I may have the muffler shop work in a dual exhaust system while they are at it. But for now, has anyone bought and/or installed this muffler? If so how does is perform/sound??

I could be wrong, but it sounds too big in diameter to hold any backpressure. Especially on a 4.0l v6..

Do what Black Magic said and try to get a Y-pipe.

50 series are close to stock with a little more growl.
40 series are louder and throaty.

You can get a dual inlet single outlet Magnaflow with an aftermarket resonator and 2.5" tailpipe and be really happy ;) I suggest going to your local recommended Magnaflow installer, www.magnaflow.com .

Back