97 4405 to 1354 e swap questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 4405 to 1354 e swap questions

Joey E

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 4x4
97 ford explorer I want to put a 1354 t case in it I want to know if I use a shiftster to make it manual shift do I have to change anything? The shifster is a manual conversion for electric shift t cases

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you use the shiftster you don't have to change anything. However you will get the dreaded flashing 4hi/4lo lights on the dash panel. Once you go manual you can replace your GEM with one from a V8 ex of the same year as yours, and that will take care of the lights. The V8 GEM is the same as yours except it has no t-case controls. Just make sure it is from the same year and match the part numbers. The 2 digits on the end are a build date code and aren't as crucial to match.

Thanks man I thought the shifster would make it a easier swap I live in Florida so I have no snow to deal with just when I want to mud switch it first and good thanks for the reply I hate the 4wd auto and just want the ability to drive 2wd sometimes without messing up any thing

By the way man I see u have a bibson cat back do you like it

No problem. Glad I could help.

As for the exhaust I love it. It sounds a little aggressive, but it's not obnoxious in the truck. Fairly easy install as well.

so how do you like your 1354 tcase is it any different feeling and better feeling than the crappy auto tcase I have now. and thanks again for responding to my question and answered my questions. oh ya with the 2 inch body and 2 inch torsion twist do those 32s rub?

Yeah it feels just like a 2wd truck until I lock in the front hubs and select 4wd. It's a nice break from the a4wd. No rubbing at all with the 32's.

that's what im looking for no rubs and the 2wd feeling I don't like the auto 4wd mine jerks a little cause I don't have a front drive shaft mine didn't have one when I bought it and im pretty surethe tcase is junk now anyway

Back