97 5.0 awd schematic needed - trans to computer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 awd schematic needed - trans to computer

bronchole

Driveway flexing!
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
I have been talking with tech support at Ultra Gauge about what it would take to get a unit that also reads the transmission temp. They are pretty sure that if my rig has the trans temp sensor in it that they can do it. I need to figure out if I have the trans temp sensor. I figure I should be able to prove/disprove this by first looking at a schematic for the cables plugging in to the transmission to see if any of them are labled trans temp and then tracing it thru the wire harness back to the computer to see what pin it goes in on.

If I prove the presence of the trans sensor then I will move on to the next step and see what it takes to get a version of the Ultra Gauge that will read it.

If all works well I will likely be posting a mass buy for this version of the gauge. I am really happy with it. The only thing it is missing that I want is the trans temp. If I can get it to work I personnaly will be buying 2 more of these gauges. I'll move the current one to my 98 Mustang and put the 2 new ones with trans temp sense in my 97 Mounty and my 96 Explorer.

Hope I can find these schematics so I can move to the next step in this.

Thanks,

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the Ford automatic transmissions (OBDII) have temperature sensors, used by PCM. I can read transmission temperatures in my 2001 Explorer and 1996 Sable with an ELM327 reader and my Android device (using Torque).

Trans temp is available - my Scanguage 2 reads it on both my 97 Mounty and 04 Explorer. Maybe tell them to look on Scanguage's web site. Trans temp is definitely worth monitoring if you do any off-roading or towing! Looks like the Ultraguage is a great buy compared to Scanguage (which is over twice the price and has a smaller display).

There's a forum rule about posting copywrited material so I won't ... I have the '97 Ford shop manuals and can see the trans temp sensor for the '97 4R70 transmission.

Dave, N2EPV

Thanks for the input guys. I forgot that I got a set of paper factory service manuals with the Monsterneer. I'll look thru them tonight.

To be clear, both of you are saying that you are reading the trans temp thru the OBDII port, right? I looked over at the scangauge site and that seems to be what they are saying.

I do both wheeling and rock crawling type off-roading so transmission temp is second only to engine temp in my mind. With the addition of trans temp the only thing missing is oir pressure/tempeture. I can live without thoes although I would prefer to have them. I guess the factory oil PSI gauge would be sufficent for my needs, oil temp I am mainly curious about.

Yes, transmission temperature and coolant temperature are readable via OBDII port.
Engine oil gauge is actually just a dumb pressure switch indicator - indicates good/bad only, 5psi is the cut-off. No temperature sensor on engine oil either... I added a brass T in the block oil port (1/4" NPT plus high-temperature Teflon tape) and connected a real pressure gauge for engine oil pressure, in this way I did leave the sender switch in place. You might want to add an extension to have better access.
41YbzrreKOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

looking for some ultraguage input, mostly want to be able to monitor tranny temp, engine temp and oil pressure with also being able to tune the engine and read codes

Back