can you bypass you rad trans cooler | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can you bypass you rad trans cooler

I need to see how high mine gets on my route. I still just have the stock coolers, with a one quart filter. I should install a gauge with a sensor to see what it is before the radiator. I wonder if there is a gauge that can be mounted under the hood and be water resistant. I don't need to see it once I know that everything works properly.

Two sensors is not overkill. I use a Dakota digital and measure trans temp at output line and again at return line just before going back to trans. I use the radiator cooler than go to a 29,500 btu B&M plate cooler, then to the factory aux cooler and back through a remote filter. There are 180 degree thermostats between all coolers.

The 5R55E trans has an internal temp sensor and does not let fluid flow out until the trans is warmed up. At least that is what I have been told. My temp gauge reads ambient until a few blocks, then jumps up to about 20-25 degrees above ambient. If below freezing, I've never seen anything below 80 except of course on my return line.

This maze of gauges, coolers, thermostats and filters drops trans fluid 50-60 degrees sitting still and 60-80 degrees moving. Hottest output I've ever seen was breifly 214 but the return line was down to 142. This only lasted about 2 seconds. Typically output temps are about 140, up to 160s under extreme conditions. I off-road in the SoCal desert in summer and pull extremely heavy loads (11,500 lb CGVW) to Oregan. The Ex ends up in the High Sierra in winter, hence all the thermostats in line.

I generate the most heat by far when the torque converter is unlocked, regardless of the other conditions or throttle position.

great info. update: i have removed my old filter and replaced the filter/fluid and also added a welded drain plug on the trans pan. i had to remove my drive shaft to get the damn pan out. WTF! i tried for an hour before i figured 6 bolts is easier than pissing myself off more. trans temp stayed around 175ish after i ran it for 20 minutes, then a road test, then site again for 20 minutes. we'll see how it does this saturday when i hook up the trailer.

My engine radiator was leaking internally with the built in transmission cooler,letting transmission oil into the cooling system.
I bypassed the pipes going into the radiator and plugged them. I now have an extra B&M transmission oil cooler installed inline before the standard transmission cooler.
The pipe coming from the auto box to the B&M cooler gets very hot and the return pipe from the standard cooler is almost cool going back in.
Kev.

Back