• Register Today It's free!

97 control trac no 4x4

sa76

Reaction score
City, State
HIGHTSTOWN,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport
hello everyone, this is my first post, great site. Ive read through posts and tech sections for a while, while ive seen some similar problems, none are the same. Here goes; i have a 97 control trac, when i shift into 4hi the lite comes on but no power to front wheels. when i turn knob to 4lo i hear the shift motor engage and it gears down but still no power to front wheels,when i punch it on dirt just spins back tires and on dry pavement no steering wheel feadback. Sometimes randomly while driving the 4wd hi/lo lites flash but not always. Ive already replaced the shift motor before reading through posts which say its only responsible for shifting from hi to low, and once again it gears down so i dont think the problem lies there. I was going to check the travel limit bumper next before replacing any sensors, can anyone point me in the rite direction, any info would be very apreciated, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you've already checked the fuses and such.

The next thing I'd do is to check whether or not there is power running down the ever popular "brown wire" (use a voltmeter) when you switch to 4HI.

If there is power in the brown wire, then the problem is the transfer case.
If no power is running down the brown wire, then its the 4x4 module thats faulting.

If you're not familiar with the "brown wire", search the thread for those key words and you should uncover a boat load of threads.

Either the transfer case clutch is shot or it's not receiving power as IZwack said above. Just because the shift motor is working doesn't mean the electromagnetic TC clutch is...

thanks for the replies, i put the truck on a lift and the front axle is turning ,the front wheels are turning also, but theres little power, thought they may be turning due to centrifugal force. does this discount any problems with the TC?

sa76 said:
thanks for the replies, i put the truck on a lift and the front axle is turning ,the front wheels are turning also, but theres little power, thought they may be turning due to centrifugal force. does this discount any problems with the TC?

No, it is likely a weak clutch pack. They run about $100. Do you know how to replace one? If not "we" would be glad to assist. :) :thumbsup:

je5 thanks for the help. no ive never done any tc work. theres no info on the clutch pack the hanes manual. sum help would be very appreciated. how difficult a job is it? thanks again

sa76 said:
i put the truck on a lift and the front axle is turning ,the front wheels are turning also, but theres little power,
Did you have the switch on AUTO or 4HI?

sa76 said:
theres no info on the clutch pack the hanes manual.. how difficult a job is it?
Changing the clutch pack isnt hard but its also not very easy. It is time consuming as the transfer case must be removed from the vehicle and opened.

Read this thread, it will give you an idea on how to remove and open the transfer case: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142207&highlight=hybridized

ive tried it in every position, with the same result, when in low it gears down but no 4wd.

If you put the vehicle on a lift with all four tires off from the ground, and the vehicle is in AUTO mode, the front wheels will still rotate - even though the vehicle isnt in 4HI or 4LO.

I would check whether or not there is power running down the "brown wire" when you put it in 4HI or 4LO.

thanks IZwack ill definately start there, i just need to get to my truck which is locked in my friends garage , ill get back to you with results. thanks again for the help

Back