97 explorer 4.0 cranks but wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer 4.0 cranks but wont start

banishedgypsy

Reaction score
City, State
Titusville fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer 4.0l
Hello,
Trying to fix my moms 97 Explorer. I have read through the posts have had no luck diagnosing the problem.
Let's start with the Symptoms. My moms Explorer a few months back started running very rough she too it to the her mechanic and he charged her for new fuel injectors and 3 O2 sensors. She brought the truck home and it was still running very ruff revving up and choking out while driving bucking like a broncoe. Then one day she parked it and the next day it would not start. the starter engages and turns the engine over but it will not start. I had the starter bench tested next i changed the fuel filter and picked up a fuel pressure gauge. I put the key in the ignition and hear the pump working in the gas tank. I also checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and it reads 37 psi in the gauge. I drained it and ran that test a couple of times and every time jumped right back up to were it is supposed to. I have pulled all the spark plug cables and am getting plenty of spark to them. I have put a stethoscope up to the fuel injectors and hear those click when the key is placed in start. so any ideas.

Well got it started today by standing on the accelerator. I have to keep the engine revved up above 1500 rpms to keep it from stalling. sounds like a hissing noise coming from the engine and it is running rough as all. I have looked around for any split hoses but no luck.

Thank you for the reply's. At the risk of sounding like Homer Simpson DOH'T. I replaced all six spark plugs and now its running like a top. Can't Believe bad spark plugs would cause such a problem now I am getting an error code of P0172- P0175 to rich in banks one and two. The codes say a possible mass air flow sensor. The worst part about this whole fiasco is that my mom had taken the truck to a mechanic and he had charged her $1200 not to figure this out. Thank god for this Web Forum. I have learned more about her explorer and my ford f150 in the last week then I ever new before. Seriously my Haynes doesn't have half the info I have gleaned from this site.

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a vacuum leak of some sorts. The main leaks stem from the intake manifold. You might want to check online for a way to diagnosis a vacuum properly. I have seen propane to check for leaks. The information is online

Welcome to the forum! Ive seen on vacuum leaks on these in a few places. Intake manifold gaskets, the o ring where the egr tube goes into the inake and any of the vacuum lines.Sometimes the rubber connections and elbows get soft and cause leaks. Being that the intake is plastic they can sound like there is a vacuum leak even if there isnt. You may also want to clean out the maf, ive seen vehicles get towed in because of spiders that made their homes inside the maf. Take it off and spray some air intake cleaner in there. Hope this helps, good luck with it!

Back