'97 explorer 5.0 intermittent long crank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 explorer 5.0 intermittent long crank

Kendellgil

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt awd
Recently bought a explorer for a new dd, it usually requires around 2 seconds of cranking to fire. But once started runs like a dream very smooth and no hiccups throughout acceleration. However yesterday I drove to the store was inside for around 10 minutes came back out and it cranked but would not start, I tried the gas pedal but no change at all, so I think iac is ruled out. After a solid 5 seconds of cranking, I rolled the key to off waited for a second then it started like normal just a few second or two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be sure to check these things at each start up incase it acts up again. I need a fuel pressure tester, anyone recommend a good one?

It could be 2 things, the fuel line not holding pressure and or a dripping fuel injector.

I'll be sure to check these things at each start up incase it acts up again. I need a fuel pressure tester, anyone recommend a good one?

Fuel pressure tester is a specialized tool that is usually available for rental at most parts stores. It is needed to check pressure and leak-down. It is not needed to check key-on pressure. A simple $2 dial-type tire air pressure guage works perfectly fine (don't try with the stick type tire guage). The test port is a schraeder valve, same size as a tire stem.

I've never had a hard start problem after it sits overnight. If that helps narrow it down.

I've never had a hard start problem after it sits overnight. If that helps narrow it down.

Had this issue. Was bad FPR. Disconnect vac hoses from it and see if you see or smell any fuel... It should be dry.

Thanks I will check that out. It hasn't done it agains since that one day, I know it needs plugs and wires, which I've already ordered.

Did plugs and wires, tested fuel pressure and it was at 40psi, I changed the fuel filter and tested agains still got 40psi. I'll let you know if this fixed the startin problems.

Back